Initial thoughts on Z6 and Z7 - Steve Perry

D

Deleted member 13260

Hogan is interesting on the Nikon strategy. His point suggests we're looking at the wrong place; we should be looking at the lenses. Nikon is an optics company more than a camera company. The S-lenses will be so good their sales is what Nikon is after and the Z bodies will follow.
Nikon's Slightly Muddled Marketing | Sans Mirror | Thom Hogan

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Andrew
So, getting through the video...it was quite interesting to hear their impressions. I cared more about the stills portion as that is the majority of what I shoot.

Even at pre-production levels, it is good to see the kinds of images they were capable. I was a little disappointed though that they had 3 weeks and didn't I've a little deeper into the camera than they did. If 3 weeks wasn't enough, then Nikon may want to consider giving them more time.

Even so, the impressions they gave were very good. That 500mm lens must be something else, if those images are any indication. It is definitely getting overshadowed by the Z cameras.

I'm sure I'll have a better idea of what the Z mount cameras are capable of on Sept. 7th when I get to see them in person. It's just a shame that I'll have to wait until November to get my Z6 kit and FTZ adapter.

My biggest issue I need to test out is the problems I was having with the Olympus EM1 Mark 2, which was when shooting in backlit conditions, the AF would hunt something terrible. This happened when I was trying to use the m43 setup at a wedding reception....where I almost didn't get the shots I need and is one of the reasons I didn't adopt m43 as my pro shooting gear.

I never did get a chance to see if this was an on sensor PDAF/contrast detect issue or if it was an Olympus AF implementation issue. Should be able to determine that soon after getting to test the Z AF myself.

So, getting through the video...it was quite interesting to hear their impressions. I cared more about the stills portion as that is the majority of what I shoot.

Even at pre-production levels, it is good to see the kinds of images they were capable. I was a little disappointed though that they had 3 weeks and didn't I've a little deeper into the camera than they did. If 3 weeks wasn't enough, then Nikon may want to consider giving them more time.

Even so, the impressions they gave were very good. That 500mm lens must be something else, if those images are any indication. It is definitely getting overshadowed by the Z cameras.

I'm sure I'll have a better idea of what the Z mount cameras are capable of on Sept. 7th when I get to see them in person. It's just a shame that I'll have to wait until November to get my Z6 kit and FTZ adapter.

My biggest issue I need to test out is the problems I was having with the Olympus EM1 Mark 2, which was when shooting in backlit conditions, the AF would hunt something terrible. This happened when I was trying to use the m43 setup at a wedding reception....where I almost didn't get the shots I need and is one of the reasons I didn't adopt m43 as my pro shooting gear.

I never did get a chance to see if this was an on sensor PDAF/contrast detect issue or if it was an Olympus AF implementation issue. Should be able to determine that soon after getting to test the Z AF myself.
I hope you share your impressions with us.

Still happens with Sony FF mirrorless. It could be the way CDAF/OSPDAF work. Little things like this, plus lowlight flash photography (where I need to stop down the lens) is why I'll probably keep a DSLR kit for awhile.

Interesting. I wonder if SOME preorders will be delivered. Hopefully they are taking time to fix the reported problems with the cameras....anyway the ones that can be fixed by firmware.
Given that no one has seen muchless used a production camera I am waiting for an actual review or two before making up my mind

I can forgive the 1 XQD card slot, but no shutter button on the upcoming battery grip for the Z cameras? Seriously, why is Nikon playing these stupid games by adding and removing features? The last battery 'only' grip was on the Nikon N80/F80! All the other mirrorless companies have been battling it tooth-and-nail to win customers by adding features on each iteration. All of them have fully functional grips. My main interest in getting a Z camera was so I can use some of my telephoto lenses, but now this is looking less likely.

--

Interview: Nikon Z7 and Z6 – what was Nikon's thinking, and how will the Z system evolve?

Digital Camera World:
There's a battery grip, is that right?

Tim Carter:

It's not a grip, it's a battery pack.

Digital Camera World:

So it doesn't feature a portrait format shutter button?

Tim Carter:

No. I don't have a huge amount of details. Basically we're just announcing that we will be developing a battery pack. It will take two batteries, and boost therefore the battery life of the product.

I'm guessing if Nikon doesn't provide a proper shutter button on the grip, we'll probably see knock-offs with some sort of wired or bluetooth shutter solution. Though it's very likely the 3rd party options won't have weather sealing.

If there is not a connector available third party is a no go.

JPS

Silly question, but.... why not !

Is there a possibility to use the Z lens on "normal" DSLR ? I know the mount is much larger, but with an adapter, we would use only the "best" part of the lens, a bit like FX lens on a DX body...

Your opinion ?

Silly question, but.... why not !

Is there a possibility to use the Z lens on "normal" DSLR ? I know the mount is much larger, but with an adapter, we would use only the "best" part of the lens, a bit like FX lens on a DX body...

Your opinion ?
It is not possible to use a Z lens on an F mount DSLR.
A Z mount lens focuses 16mm behind the rear flange
An F mount lens focuses 46.5mm behind the rear flange.

To make an F mount lens work on a Z cam it needs an additional 30.5 space....and that is what the FTZ adapter provides.
To make a Z mount lens work on a F mount camera it would need a -30.5mm spacer and that's not possible.

Latest threads

Top Bottom