Innocense vs Privledge

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Chris101, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    This photo begs some questions. Can you find them?

[​IMG]

2. Love the image but dang if I can find the questions

3. The mother in me says "where is your shirt?"

Like the shot!

4. cellison

cellison

Mar 18, 2006
    Canada
    Why is there a doorknob on the table?

Chris

5. I seem to be too thick to figure it out.
    Young man eating a bagle in what appears to be a very nice home.
    Don't see anything unusual or any juxtapositions.

Looking forward to the answer.

Don

6. Does this person belong in this room? This room seems to be part of a sophisticated house yet he/she is not dressed in a sophisticated way i.e. no top.
    Why does he/she not have a plate and cutlery? Is this a meal or snack?

Is this person a free spirit and that is why not better dressed or is he/she poor and without the usual social graces?

The expression doesn't give away much; what feelings is this person experiencing?

Is it a boy or girl? Why is no one else visible in the shot? Is he/she alone?(except for the photographer)

Just some obvious questions which come to my mind.

7. I think I get it! Why no shirt? :)

8. I am making an assumption that this is a girl.

My questions would be where is her shirt? Why is there a plasma screen on the wall but no dishes/silverware? Is her mother the hired help?

That's what I get out of it.

9. Oh, and don't take this the wrong way, but there is one more question that I see. Why would a grown man be taking pictures of a kid with no shirt on? Again, not implying anything, just stating what comes to mind.

10. Lovely shot of O.

But the question.. Why? Eating alone? Shirtless in dining area? Surprised by C with Camera?

Dunno Chris...

11. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Nice image Chris. I liked the above question a lot better than some of the questions asked later.

12. very good photograph.
    study in geometries here are right on, love the repeating arcs, repeating rectangles, subtle diagonals, and excellent focus throughout, but,it still gets me right in to a wonderful portrayal of the figure.
    i have no questions.

13. Why the chair?
    It's in best focus and with a dramatic dogtooth check covering in an otherwise calmer scene
    To me it dominates the excellent photo
    The 'doorknob' could be a salt cellar

14. Based on the arm of the chair and the differences in tonal range between the chair/subject and the background I would say that they are taken from different images.

15. Okay, newbie question here. What's a salt cellar?

16. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    These are some good questions!

It is a salt shaker. Her mother is not the hired help, but rather my girlfriend the lawyer. Grown men take pictures of naked kids all the time. I'm no Sally Mann, but sometimes it is artsy. For a six year old, there are no social or sexual connotations of this. As she is just eating a bagel, we're lucky she even used a napkin, let alone silverware (although she pointed out last week that some of the silver is tarnished and wanted me to polish it!) Her shirt is probably on the couch or more likely, the floor. The hounds-tooth fabric is Becky's decorating trademark (houndstoothstudio.com). Eating alone because Sam said "I'M NOT HUNGRY!" while playing video games. A salt cellar is what they call a salt shaker in England.

Gordon, the only thing isolating Olivia and the chair is natural bokey and nice, bright, indirect light coming from the side. There has been no digital manipulation of this photo.

I presented this image in this way because I am vetting it for inclusion in a silver print portfolio I am preparing for the Fall. Thank you all! Especially those who asked controversial questions. Art director types eat that stuff up!

17. Honestly Chris, when I first viewed this lovely image my first thought was nature vis-a-vis nurture! You know natural versus the societally imposed. And yes, a good one for the portfolio!

18. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Ray! To my thinking a good photograph should raise more questions that it answers. I re-read Szarkowski's Looking at Photographs this week, so I'm all philosophical.

19. Terry Gilliam says the same thing about movies.

I agree.

20. Well, Chris, I asked the question expressely because you asked us to. But that was splitting hairs on my part. Shirt or no shirt, I actually prefer without. The image is just stronger.

What came to my mind, at very first when I saw the image was simple:
    "Wow! Nice light! great composition! great boke! Is that the Leica+ Voigtlander 35 1.7?, And oh yeah, what am I supposed to understand from this image?"

The image is good, no doubt!