Insect I.D. please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarrell, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Walking across the yard I found this fellow. I've seen them before but have no idea what kind of insect it is. I suppose it is a beetle of some sort. Upon sitting him down for his portrait he instantly assumed this position and kept it the entire time.
    Nikon 990
    manual mode... 1/500th sec, f/5.9
    Jpeg fine
    maybe this will help..

Jarrell

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2007
  2. Where I come from those are referred to as "bugs" or maybe "beetles."

Seriously, how big is it?

3. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Hmmm.. I've let him go on his way now but I'd guess it was about 3 inches long.
    Jarrell

4. Whoaaaaa, hate to meet up with that in the middle of the night with bare feet!!!! :eek: Those are serious mandibles!!!! Gee, Jarrell, you shore do grow 'em big down in the South, don't ya?

5. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    I think it belongs to the family Horrid Biters.. :biggrin:
    Jarrell

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    OMG What have you found now Jarrell...lololol

I used to know the name , but forgot.

Harry or Bob will know

7. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    Hi Jarrell, I have not seen one of those fellas in about 20 years, it is a Stag beetle. See link below, and last but not least, I absolutely love the shots - Jeff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stag_beetle

8. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Jeff says it's a Stag Beetle. I thought the name had something to do with horns or antlers and was thinking it was called an Elk beetle or something like that. Wrong!!
    Jarrell

9. Ugly critter but you photo almost made him look good. Well done Jarrell.

10. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Thanks Jeff. I really do have to make the 125 mile ride back to my daughters to get my camera case, that I walked out and left on the last visit. It has all the lenses for my dslr, well... I do have the 50mm... including the closeup stuff that would have been ideal for this...
    :Depressed
    Thank you for the link!
    Jarrell

11. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    If I found that, and it was 3 inches long, it would be defined as - SQUISHED! :eek: