Insect I.D. please

Walking across the yard I found this fellow. I've seen them before but have no idea what kind of insect it is. I suppose it is a beetle of some sort. Upon sitting him down for his portrait he instantly assumed this position and kept it the entire time.
80092683.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nikon 990
manual mode... 1/500th sec, f/5.9
Jpeg fine
maybe this will help..
80096603.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Jarrell

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoaaaaa, hate to meet up with that in the middle of the night with bare feet!!!! :eek: Those are serious mandibles!!!! Gee, Jarrell, you shore do grow 'em big down in the South, don't ya?

Whoaaaaa, hate to meet up with that in the middle of the night with bare feet!!!! :eek: Those are serious mandibles!!!! Gee, Jarrell, you shore do grow 'em big down in the South, don't ya?
I think it belongs to the family Horrid Biters.. :biggrin:
Jarrell

OMG What have you found now Jarrell...lololol

I used to know the name , but forgot.

Harry or Bob will know

Harry or Bob will know
Jeff says it's a Stag Beetle. I thought the name had something to do with horns or antlers and was thinking it was called an Elk beetle or something like that. Wrong!!
Jarrell

Harry or Bob will know

Hi Jarrell, I have not seen one of those fellas in about 20 years, it is a Stag beetle. See link below, and last but not least, I absolutely love the shots - Jeff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stag_beetle

Thanks Jeff. I really do have to make the 125 mile ride back to my daughters to get my camera case, that I walked out and left on the last visit. It has all the lenses for my dslr, well... I do have the 50mm... including the closeup stuff that would have been ideal for this...
:Depressed
Thank you for the link!
Jarrell

Latest threads

Top Bottom