Insects

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Jerry Snider, May 9, 2005.

1. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Hope this is the place for "bugs". Attached are three photos of dragonflies. These were taken with a D70, 70-200 Nikkor 2.8 D, 5T diopter. Prefer to use the 200 Macro but as quick as these insects are (or as slow as I am :lol: ) the zoom provides easier framing. Used SB800 and RRS bracket. Bokeh isn't great, but the bugs don't seem to want to wait around! Would appreciate serious criticisms only--can't learn otherwise.
    My very best,
    Jerry S

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jerry, as I said earlier, you have outstanding images in your galleries :shock:
    It's good to have you here in the cafe. Try to post some of your birds, I know people in here they'll love you for ever... ;-)

Since I find your first two shots perfect, I would only comment on the DoF of your third one. I would suggest a narrower DoF so your background to be more OoF and blurry. I find it a bit "participating" in your composition distracting my eye from your subject.

3. Brew

Brew Guest

I like the 2nd one the best, must be the color of the insect. What don't you like about the Bokeh? Maybe the white line on the first one is a bit distracting other then that I like the others Bokeh. The 3rd one is especially nice because you can see the leaves color separation (I don't know if I'm explaining that right).

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jerry,

We don't get to hung up on where you post. The important thing is to get your pictures in front of the folks that share common interests. This forum is fine for these, but you might be even better off in the Macros forum. It's up to you though. Either way is fine.

Outstanding shots. I have one or two meager efforts at this type of shots, but hope to do a lot more in the near future. I don't have a dedicated macro lens, but I do have the 70-200VR and the Canon 500D. In the few evaluation shots I've taken, this combo seems to work pretty well.

Post more please. :wink:

5. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Macros it is. Thanks for the tip. Save this spot for the birds!
    My very best.
    Jerry S

6. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Panos,
    Thanks for the recommendation on photo 3. I totally agree with your assessment about DOF. Interestingly, I have more requests for photo 3 as far as bug lovers are concerned. One likely would never know it, but I shot that particular photo after having taken a couple of IR images and forgot to reset the white balance. You simply wouldn't BELIEVE what that photo looked like right out of the camera. I was pleased at how well it came out in Photoshop. Also, this is the only one of the three shown (and more in my smugmug account) for which I didn't use a minute amount of fill flash. Again, thanks for the constructive feedback--and I totally agree with you! It's good to be in agreement once in awhile! :lol:
    My very best,
    Jerry S

7. Jerry, you have a keen eye for detail and your presentation is wonderful!!! :D :D :D :D