INSIDE! - The story of a youth in prison (23images)

Rob

“Before we received democracy in South Africa . . . how can I put it . . . prison was a habit with many black people. They would say: ‘if you are a proper man, you must go to prison.’ If you have not entered prison, they call you ‘mama’s baby.’

Interesting quotation from your piece Peter, how many countries is this happening in? Certainly in the UK and I believe the USA, there's more 'respect' for a black individual who has done some time. It's a sad reflection on our times, hopefully your young man will start to turn the tide; ever the optimist.:smile:

Thanks again for another fascinating piece of journalism; well written and great photography, as we all expect when we see your byline.:wink:

I must really give ALL of you my most heartfelt thanks for taking your time and trouble to look at these images. While it would be impractical to mention everyone by name, and I hope that you are not offended by a global thank you, I will of couse attempt to reply to any issues or questions that you raise. But to each and every one of you, again, your time is greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much.
Peter

North Yorkshire born and bred in Edinburgh!!!
Apologies Peter, I don't mean to embarrass you....but...... Robert Capa...... Larry Burrows.... Don McCuillin....... Peter Bendheim.......

nothing else to say really.....

Many thanks for your vision.....

Graeme

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chris Bloom

Graeme said:
Apologies Peter, I don't mean to embarrass you....but...... Robert Capa...... [snip].... Peter Bendheim.......

I don't know which is the most dangerous, the beaches of Normandy on D-Day or downtown Durban?:wink:

Chris Bloom said:
I don't know which is the most dangerous, the beaches of Normandy on D-Day or downtown Durban?:wink:
...can you imagine that in Cyprus many people leave their cars unlocked during the night... :eek:

I can leave all my gear on the beach while enjoying the sea with Lambros...:rolleyes:

...the same in Greece, where I usually ask from a totally stranger sunbathing next to me
to keep an eye on my things while I'm at the beach bar ordering coffee...:smile:

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Peter I immideately saw that your colors where muted and I wondered why, then when I read why it all made sense. But the ionteresting this is not that to me, it is that you think about what you are going to shoot before you do, and what effect it will have have and what you want ti ti have and that is a great lesson for me.

I have been asked by an aboriginal local film maker to take some stills about his upcoming documentary about the homeless people, mostly from the reservation, living under our bridges in our little town. He know many of them personally. I will try to think thorugh carefully what effect I want to portray of these human beings before I go there, more then what lenses and aperture etc.

One thing I do know is that I want to portray them as dignified human beings, with feelings and longings of a better life, eventhough they are in a difficult position.

The Director will go with me so I will be quite safe, unlike you.

I'm thinking of you, and your safety, take care!

Real Name
Heiko
bendheim said:
...I realise this after having been mugged; in that my own fears have at least temporarily taken me out of my customary working environment. In so doing, they have deprived me, albeit through my own doing (my fear), of the freedom I have to express myself.

So, it's not better at all, just different, from a far away place !!!!!

Peter

Great series and compelling story by your colleague. Sorry to read you got mugged.
On your lines above (I only copied a short part, but refer to the entire post), it's interesting to see how people in different places have different worries, but nonetheless very real and very serious. This week I drove to Tel Aviv right next to the place where a suicide bomber killed 8 people an hour earlier, and I seriously contemplated going there to take some pictures. Fortunately I forgot my camera at home, which made the decision easy.
While getting blown up in pieces is a real threat here (albeit such bombings have declined a lot since the building of the security fence) - particularly during holidays and in crowded places - I could never imagine to get mugged on the street. Nor would I be afraid walking the darkest streets in the night in cities like Tel Aviv or others here in Israel. Since I'm traveling a lot to Europe (mainly Germany), I do feel quite different there and am cautious walking the streets at night.
What I want to say is that I, like many/most others here, have come to live with the reality and try to live a normal life. It may take a little time to get over these shocks but I hope you will eventually also find a way to get back shooting pictures whereever you want, without the fear in you making you compromise. Because that's what I see in your picture posts here - pictures without compromise!
Thanks for sharing your pics and thoughts.

Peter, I just want to add to the chorus of admirers of your work. The technical, artistic, emotional and intellectual all come together in a way rarely seen around here or anywhere else.

DAB

M

MariaVoniati

Thanks Peter, once again, for your wonderful work. Each picture talks by it-self. I am glad you share your work and your thoughts with us. At the same time, I fell sad for these young men.

bendheim said:
That got me thinking...I don't think my photography is any better than anybody else's. I do think, however, that to many of my friends on this board, it is different, more "exotic" and unusual, simply because I have had more opportunities to visit "difficult" environments.

That does not make it better, just different. If you were in the same place, with the same "freedoms" you all would have done just as well, if not a whole lot better!!!!
Peter, first of all, thank you for sharing your images and the story. I have only heard and read about your part of the world, and you have the knack to bring the vision to us in such gentle, artistic and respectful manner.

Having said that, and referring to your quote above, I have doubt that I would be able to achieve the same in your place. I think it takes more than just being at the right place at the right time.

Thank you once again.

Regards,
Jonathan

Latest threads

Top Bottom