Inspiration

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by PhilY, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Inspiration is a funny thing. Sometimes it jumps on you when you're not looking.

Sometimes while strolling around campus at my alma mater in Oxford on ball game weekends (no -- not THAT Oxford), testosterone is the triggering inspiration. :biggrin:

On a recent visit to Oxford (no -- not THAT Oxford), I was mindlessly strolling around the town square taking snapshots out of boredom because my wife was "shopping" in all the neat little stores. I hate shopping in neat little stores -- I enjoy wandering around aimlessly taking snaps. I deleted all but two. Those two are just junk snaps but I kept them because they have provided inspiration.

This is William. He just sits there all bronzed up and looking cool with his hat and pipe. It's a little strange William is sitting there because he was often at odds with the good people of Oxford. He was want to get drunk and climb up on something and yell at the people while on their way to church. I have seen William hundreds of times and he has never inspired me to do anything.

This is the top of the court house in the center of the town square in Oxford (no -- not THAT Oxford) across from where William is sitting. I have seen it hundreds of times and it has never inspired me to do anything.

View attachment 17152

Back in my film days, I used to enjoy doing a "series" of shots on a person or place, mostly places -- I just didn't know back then it was called PJ. Other than a couple of trips I haven't done any of that with digital even though I enjoy doing it. Lazy, I guess. Somehow seeing these two images together on my screen have inspired me to do a series on the "places" of William. I think it is because he once was instrumental in saving that 1870s court house and it is badly in need of painting today. The two together provided the trigger.

These "places" have always been there -- the fictional Yoknapatawpha County, Rowan Oak (William's house), Bailey's Woods, etc -- and I have seen them hundreds of times but have never been inspired to do anything about it. These two mundane shots have put a bug up my butt to do a series on the places of William. It will take a few weeks to get it done and I will post the results here when finished. Well, it they're any good. :)

"The aim of every artist is to arrest motion, which is life, by artificial means and hold it fixed so that a hundred years later, when a stranger looks at it, it moves again since it is life. Since man is mortal, the only immortality possible for him is to leave something behind him that is immortal since it will always move. This is the artist's way of scribbling "Kilroy was here" on the wall of the final and irrevocable oblivion through which he must someday pass." William Faulkner 1897 - 1962

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Seems you really have been inspried by William. I like that photo alot.

Good images , thanks for sharing.

3. Thanks, Gale. Yeah -- it looks like ol' William has jumped on me. Strange that, especially in light of almost being forced to study his works many years ago. Faulkner was a unique individual and a great storyteller and I think it will be a challenge to represent his "places" in my images since many of them are fictional even though inspired by real places. I'm a little bit excited about trying this because a "project" hasn't really struck me since coming back to photography. I'm thinking my skill, or lack thereof, is in for a little test. :)

Phil

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well Phil,
    I sure look foward to your exploration with this fun (?) project. Yeah it is hard to get motivated somethimes. Then all of a sudden it just strikes you and I am so glad it did.

I sure look foward to more Mr. William.

I really love that image and hope you will take some more of him at different angles and light.

I also like the The Top of the Court House as well. Needing a paint job makes this image almost look like a painting.

Thanks again