1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Inspired by Palouse

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Spectre, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Having looked at Nicks B&W conversions, I thought I would try my hand at a few conversions myself. Not sure how successful they are in the eyes of others, but I like the results. I know there is room for improvement, any critique is welcome.
    SC_033AB. SC_020AB. FB_1824AB. SC_028AB.

2. dcamjones

dcamjones

Jun 26, 2018
    Columbia, MD
    #3 is my favorite
    #4 not sure how I feel about this one. The dark rock to the right is distracting kept finding my eye drift to it. The rock on the left dominates the picture

3. All of these conversions look fine to me. Congratulations!

Considering that you're new at it, I'll mention just in case you're not aware that there are two ways to make a monochrome image: convert using a color filter or desaturate. In almost all cases, you'll have a LOT more control if you use the former method. That's because the former method retains the RGB information. The result is that you're working with three times as much data as when desaturating.

4. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Looks great in BW. Cannon Beach?

5. Very nice conversions. I find #2 and #3 better compositionally.

6. JW53

JW53

Jan 21, 2006
    Johns Creek, Ga
    Sweet, like #4 for the range of tones and contrast. #’s 1 & 2 for composition. Not sure on the 3rd, would probably have gone for either a shorter or longer exposure. The water appears a little fuzzy and would probably benefit from being sharper or much smother.

7. Nice work, and I'm flattered too! I agree with John---#4 shows great tonal range, and the first 2 are well composed. Isn't his fun? Keep notes and try lots of adjustments.

8. Great job one these. One thing I sometimes like is to include some "film grain" in Nik's Silver eFex Pro, especially since B&W harkens back to the good old days of film. To me, sometimes a straight conversion of a perfectly exposed image from our wonderful sensors looks a bit too smooth and perfect in B&W.

Ken

9. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    Very good first attempts - I'm in the #3 group.

10. I am far from a B&W expert or connoisseur, but I am willing to register my $0.02 worth as an interested observer.

To me only #3 has a composition that I find interesting. I like the line formed by the rocks which lead the viewer's eye into the photograph. But unfortunately that line leads to a rather overexposed part of the sky that lacks interest. If you could tone down the exposure in the sky so that it has some definition I think it would improve the photo a lot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.