Instacart

Real Name
Randy
Anybody try this for delivered groceries ? We started 2 weeks ago and it's very impressive. There alot of things not on the shelf but the shopper works with you, via text, to find good substitutions on some things. For $99 a year delivery is free. Note they do mark some stuff up a little. I'm not sure how valuable this service would be to me normally but right now it's priceless. With my age and health I am not supposed to leave the house.

We used them for order last week but did not pay the yearly fee just a $8 delivery fee on top of the cost of the food, not sure that we will use them again.

When we placed the order on Friday we received a notification that we should be home to receive the delivery on Tuesday. Later we received an update that the shopper was picking up our items and that they would be held in refrigerated storage until Tuesday's delivery. At about 5pm Friday afternoon my wife went for a walk around the neighborhood and received notification that the driver was on the way and we should receive the delivery shortly. When the driver arrived I happened to be in the garage. He took the box with the items and tried to hand it too me directly. I had to ask him several times to not hand it too me but just put the box on the ground to keep social distance. He seemed to not understand the reason for my request.

Probably more than anything my wife was upset that we received no more than a 15 minute warning about the imminent delivery. If pollen hadn't been so bad I would have been on the walk with my wife and there would have been no one to accept the delivery.

Instacart is a very convenient service but unfortunately I did not get any delivery dates at all. I tried ordering on 4 or 5 different occasions (over 2 or 3 days) but got the same result.

Anybody try this for delivered groceries ? We started 2 weeks ago and it's very impressive. There alot of things not on the shelf but the shopper works with you, via text, to find good substitutions on some things. For $99 a year delivery is free. Note they do mark some stuff up a little. I'm not sure how valuable this service would be to me normally but right now it's priceless. With my age and health I am not supposed to leave the house.
That's a good way to go Randy.
As a precaution I would wipe down anything boxed or canned with sanitizing wipes.
Either that or keep them stored someplace safe for a few days until any bacteria can die off.
That will only work for non-perishables.
Are you sure they are marking up or could the stores just be charging more?
Where I live there are no more weekly supermarket sale ads.
I picked up some ground beef last week.
$6 per pound was the best price I could find. Definitely a big increase.

Real Name
Randy
That's a good way to go Randy.
As a precaution I would wipe down anything boxed or canned with sanitizing wipes.
Either that or keep them stored someplace safe for a few days until any bacteria can die off.
That will only work for non-perishables.
Are you sure they are marking up or could the stores just be charging more?
Where I live there are no more weekly supermarket sale ads.
I picked up some ground beef last week.
$6 per pound was the best price I could find. Definitely a big increase.
we have an area dedicated to cleaning everything, we even wash the fruit and vegies in soap and water
it's hard to tell on the prices but I'm pretty sure the big stores don't go up during a crisis

we have an area dedicated to cleaning everything, we even wash the fruit and vegies in soap and water
it's hard to tell on the prices but I'm pretty sure the big stores don't go up during a crisis
Sounds like you have a good system on the cleaning.
That's very important.
As far as the stores, I've been very surprised.
Every one of them has raised their prices significantly.
I don't mind paying more if I know the store is taking extra cleaning precautions and paying their employees a premium to work during this dilemma.

It does sound like an invaluable service for you right now, Randy. With our current level of quarantine we're not totally housebound. Just not supposed to go in stores or anywhere with other people. So we've been able to use curbside pickup at Fred Meyer(i.e. Krogers) and Walmart. Fred's charges $6 per pickup. They're booked several days out so it takes a bit of planning. One thing they do that's cool is that if they are out of something they'll try and substitute the next best option(size, brand, etc) and charge you the lower price of the original or sub item. We ordered a $4 gallon of milk which was not available and ended up with two half gallons of organic milk which normally cost $7 each. I was impressed. It's been hit and miss with the employees that bring out the groceries. They go over a printout of your order to make sure you're good with any substitutions etc. One lady got right up in our face while she was explaining the order. Just didn't seem to get it.

It is interesting what items people are hoarding these days. Here one of the hot items is dry dog food.

Not Instacart, but we started using a local grocery store that shops for you and provides either curbside or home delivery. The toughest thing we have encountered is having to actually plan ahead for what we need. Living only 1.5 miles away made us creatures of convenience.

Real Name
Randy
Not Instacart, but we started using a local grocery store that shops for you and provides either curbside or home delivery. The toughest thing we have encountered is having to actually plan ahead for what we need. Living only 1.5 miles away made us creatures of convenience.
we do that at Harris Teeter but they're a week behind, instacart is still doing same day

Real Name
Tony Saya
We joined up here and have used it a couple of time I have health issues that sort of dictate me not leaving the house. They do both delivery or pickup here so far I have just used pickup (My daughter has been picking up for use)we are about to try delivery this week. Not sure the $100 is worth it the delivery fee is $4.00 a delivery so that would be equivalent to 25 deliveries not sure we would use it that much. Right now I am real happy with the service

Real Name
Randy
using Instacart online lets me know that 10 different stores in Charlotte don't have toilet paper or paper towels......WTH (what the heck) am I missing here (other than toiler paper)

Real Name
Randy
in Charlotte we have maybe 15 but it doesn't matter on some stuff.....the free delivery club lets me string together more than 1 store on the same delivery so that can help.....it is strange managing food like this but it works with as little risk as possible

Real Name
Randy
Instacart has shutdown phone support and are not responding to emails....our last few orders were missing items (that we paid for) and the company has gone silent. Warning for anyone considering them....

I cancelled my order with them and have a credit due. Have not heard from them. Will be calling my credit card company to report and resolve.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom