Installing Capture OSX 10.4.2

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Czechman01, Dec 10, 2005.

1. I'm doing this as a fresh Thread to recap my 6+ hours of frustration trying to install a working Nikon Capture 4.3.2 on a G5 OSX 10.4.2. Hopefully, this will will show up if anyone does a search.

Before you begin, you MUST have Nikon View or Picture Project installed.
    This is only casually mentioned as footnote in the Install Manual
    Both are available to download from the Nikon website.

If you have previously attempted to install only to find (for whatever reason) that you do not have a fully functional install, run the UNINSTALLER from the drop down menu on the installer disk.

Next, go into the Applications folder and trash the entire Nikon Capture folder.

Next, follow Library / Preferences and trash the file named:
    jp.co.nikon.MCA.plist
    Failure to do this will result in an error message that a newer version of the software already exists.

Install the earliest version you have. Mine was 4.1.2.

Attempt to boot that install. It should quit unexpectantly. I don't think 4.1.2 runs on 10.4.

Install each upgrade in sequence, and boot each install.

If you receive an error message telling you that the Updater cannot find Capture, you have skipped a step. The Update path is:
    There is no "combined updater". You must do each update one at a time.

Always select Easy Install

Always Reboot when it's an option after Updating.

You may or may not be asked for your Product Key at some point. Please note that the Product Key changed from letters to numbers around version 4.2. Failing to boot each install may result in your getting a dialog box that asks for a numeric-only Product Key and you will have to begin the install process all over again. At least that's what happened to me when I only updated each version without booting.

I'm not 100% certain that each of these steps is absolutely necessary, but it's what I did that worked.

Woody

2. Glad to hear you finally had success. Couldn't help as I'm on a pc.

3. I'm not sure this would have helped your process, but I too had difficulties reloading Capture on my PC..........I'll save you the details as it was very similar to your experience.

I ended up calling Nikon support and they ultimately gave me an "all numeric" registration key as I too was using the alpha-numeric key that shipped with my original version. This fixed all my issues with Capture and I believe with this new key, I also am free of having to reload the "string" of updates.

I'm now thinking of moving to the Mac platform next year so I may have to come to grips with this yet again.......