Installing existing NX2 upgrade on new computer ... questions, and an answer

I have a couple of questions, the answer to which might keep me out of trouble.

I'm considering buyng a new computer featuring pre-installed 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium.

My current computer has NX2 upgrade installed over original NX, which was a purchased product, not the one that came with my D300, which remains unopened.

So my questions are these:

1) Will the NX2 install on a second computer without requiring a new license.

2) If so, will the code from my installed NX suffice....since both it and the D300 copy I don't believe will work on a 64-bit Windows machine.

3) If I'm forced to try to install the D300 NX software, even if it doesn't work, will that suffice to allow me to do an NX2 upgrade that WILL work.

4) And if the latter, will that also demand I buy a new upgrade as opposed to being able to use the old one?

or

5) Finally, am I hung by Nikon and have to / am expected to buy a completely new full-on 64-bit NX2 package of software?

Any and all advice and experience that seems relevant will be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can install on the new machine, using your current serial number/keys. Enjoy :)

So my questions are these:

1) Will the NX2 install on a second computer without requiring a new license.
Yes.

2) If so, will the code from my installed NX suffice....since both it and the D300 copy I don't believe will work on a 64-bit Windows machine.
Yes.

3) If I'm forced to try to install the D300 NX software, even if it doesn't work, will that suffice to allow me to do an NX2 upgrade that WILL work.
Yes, but as I said, it should not be any problem with old key. The only problem I have seen has to do with keys purchased through shady dealers. (selling the same key in Bulk).

4) And if the latter, will that also demand I buy a new upgrade as opposed to being able to use the old one?
See Above.

or
5) Finally, am I hung by Nikon and have to / am expected to buy a completely new full-on 64-bit NX2 package of software?
No.

The only issue I have seen, is with the above mentioned keys. Where upon Upgrading/Updating the Nikon software checks for keys that have been identified as compromised and subsequently put on a black list so to speak. In which case, the upgrade/update is halted, and a new serial/key would be required.

In addition to the "shady dealer" key issues, I thought they put in a limit of N installations with a key where N was some unknown value. And if you exceeded N, you had to call Nikon and prove you owned the copy for them to give you a new key (i.e. have a receipt from an authorized dealer).

I'd originally installed NX2 on a PC and was able to install it on a Mac using the same keys with no issues. i.e. I'm certain N > 2 so the OP shouldn't have an issue...

Hi Harry

there is no 64 bit version of NX2, but the 32 bit version works fine. I am running Win 7 Pro 64 bit and NX2 installed and ran with no problems. The only difference between your version and the version that came with the D300 is that that is probably an old version, whereas the one you are running now is an updated version.

Just make sure you have the latest version 2.2.7 (download from the Nikon site) and you should have no problems with Win7. As long as you have your software keys for NX AND NX2 it should all work.

Some thoughts:

Has anyone here actually installed NX1 on a W7 64 Bit system?

I'm not saying it can't be done - just asking if anyone has done it - I would be in the same situation if I bought a W7 computer.

On the serial number issue I offer the following:

I have repeatedly said here that I run a Vista Laptop connected to the Internet and an XP desktop m/c which is not, and never has been, on the Internet.

I update/upgrade NX2 at every opportunity on both machines and have NEVER seen any indication that my desktop is even trying to phone home to register how many times NX2 is being installed etc.

Quit worrying about this X number of installations business. They are talking about 50 different people on fifty different machines installing and registering the same serial number and not about one person registering the same serial number fifty times on one or two machines. V2.2.6 installed/updated/upgraded on both of my machines with absolutely no problems and no questions.

Obviously your serial numbers should be genuine!

Future versions will have an obligatory authentication process over the internet or by phone! NIK already do this one new products, don't they?

IMHO etc.

DG

Thanks, guys....these comments give me confidence I didn't have before.

BTW, in case anybody is interested, Walmart.com (not stores) offers a ZT (clone) desktop server with 16GB of memory, an Athlon 6-core processor, a 2T hard drive, an advanced NVidea video card, and six USB 2.0 and two USB 3.0 ports, for $798. Not necessarily the one I'm buying, but I thought a good value as ZT has been selling clone computers via magazine ads for at least a decade, and has a decent reputation. Also free delivery to nearby store, or home delivery for $0.97.

Confirming the above comments, Harry. Should be no problems installing as you plan, you might run into the situation where you have to request a new authorization number from Nikon, should not be a problem as long as you have one for NX2. I've had to do that 2 or 3 times.

Just thought I'd update this - the software has been successfully installed....version 2.2.7. Not without issues, however. On the other hand, the issues had little to do with 64 bit, and had very much to do with my own stupidity, Nikon's lack of clarity, and the sequence of installation. Without getting into all the gory details, I have arrived through much trial and error on both 32-bit and 64-bit systems the following advice for anybody installing an upgrade to NX2:

#1 - (key) Upgrade Message Center to version 2 before you do anything else.
#2 - (second key) Upgrade Transfer and/or ViewNX (if you have them installed) to their latest versions as well (Transfer is 1.5.x and ViewNX is 2.x.x). And I'd strongly encourage you to just remove ViewNX if you are using CaptureNX....the two don't always play well together.
#3 - then install CaptureNX version 2.2.x.

The fact is, CaptureNX will freeze up if either Message Center, ViewNX, or Transfer are not upgraded first. Where and how and when the program freezes depends on the specifics, but it will happen. So follow the sequence above.

Also be aware that the laterst Transfer will freeze if Message Center is not upgraded at the same time. It is offered as a dual upgrade, but it is necessary to say "yes" to the Message Center upgrade, else Transfer will also freeze.

I can't believe their isn't a more foolproof way to design an upgrade installation than Nikon has, but it is what it is....a pain in the .....

Harry

Harry,

I don't have Message Centre, View NX or Transfer on either of my machines.

I don't dispute your findings - I just wonder what all of the above have to do with installing NX2.x.x?

Glad that you eventually got there!!

DG

Dave, you raise a good point. The transfer is there because my workflow starts with transfer triggered by a card, which then brings up Photo Mechanic, which then uses NX2 as its main editor.

Message center I believe is there whether you know it or no....it is what the Nikon programs use to spot, signal, and download upgrades.

The ViewNX was only loaded out of curiousity in order to see if it was substantially easier to use for family-type snaps as oppposed to serious photgraph. It had been a long time since I used it....was just curious.

Top Bottom