Installing NX2 on a MBP problems

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Toby D, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    Tried this in the Apple forum w/o any luck. Perhaps this is a better spot to ask what I'm doing wrong.-----

I have tried to install the trial of NX2 a couple of time now, but it will not start up. This is the first piece of software I've installed on a Mac that doesn't go properly. DO I need to delted NX off first?

It simply says it can't start. Trying to use the uninstaller, now thats really screwed up. I just dragged it all off instead as the uninstaller just hangs up.

I've searched the forums and can't find anyone with my problem, so any insight would be appreciated. I'd like to try it.

2. TerryNick

TerryNick

Apr 27, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Call Nikon

I had a similar problem on my Mac. NX2 would not see my files in folders. Couldn't uninstall NX or NX2.

So I called Nikon support at 1-800-645-6689. You get free 24/7 support for Capture NX2 for a year.......look for the yellow insert in the Capture NX2 box.

Got through with no wait. Nikon Tech guy helped me manually drag all nikon files to the trash. Installed NX2 again and everything works.

So don't hesitate to call Nikon support.

Files are in Home-->Library-->Preferences-->Nikon and also in Home-->Library-->Preferences-->Application Support. Trash anything with Nikon in its name. Then run Disk Utility and repair permissions; restart and install NX2.

But since Nikon support is so good just call and let the tech walk you through it.

3. Note that Capture NX2 will NOT work on a case-sensitive file system. This is stated on the download page. I had to back up and reformat my hard drive to get it to work.

Craig

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Paul,

To be clear, Capture NX2 didn't do any harm to my machine. It simply wouldn't run because I was using a case-sensitive file system. The fix was to back up my data and reformat my hard drive using one of the non-case-sensitive file systems, and all was perfect.

Capture NX2 should work fine on the default file system. You actually have to go out of your way to reformat case-sensitive. So most people won't encounter this particular problem. But, it might just be the OP's issue.

This was on my iMac, btw. On my MB Air, I didn't use a case-sensitive file system so all was fine.

Craig

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    What they had me do was install it in the guest section. That worked, but what a PITA to move back and forth. I'm thinking of going to VM Fusion an see if it'll run that way. Its a lot easier moving between the two.

8. mdirvin

mdirvin

Jan 30, 2007
    East TN
    I think NX2 is screwed up

I was using NX 2 with no problems for awhile, then for no apparent reason I could no longer see the files in my folders. I could still open them using the file menu and edit them normally. I tried to uninstall using the uninstaller but it would stall and report an error. I would then have to force quit the uninstaller. My HD's are not formatted as case sensitive.

I have been using Capture NX since Version 1. It really has been just one problem after another. Its the only program that I have difficulty with. I don't think Nik software has any Mac software engineers on board, they just port the windows version over to Mac using a conversion program, and clean the code up a bit. Every update from either Apple, or Nik software brings problems that have to be sorted out. Now I have switched to Aperture.

Mike

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.