Installing SSD in HP Probook.

I've done this on my Macbook several years ago and it took a while to sort out. Now I'm battling with a Windows laptop.
I received some advice from someone who works with computers, he sent me EaseUS partitioner and Backup programs.
The first time I made the mistake of cloning the drive before partitioning it. Then I partitioned it and cloned it, everything showed
up on the SSD with an identical amount of information - but it wouldn't run. I read up on the settings I used and apparently partitioning
using the "logical" format means it can't boot from the drive - so I wiped the disc and partitioned it again using the "primary" option.
Once again I have everything the same on both drives - side-by-side, my "C" drive next to the "B" drive which is the SSD. But when I install the SSD
the laptop gives an error saying there is no OS installed?
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I remember that on some of the drives (long time ago) they had a switch which had to be set to determine if they were master or slave.
Which SSD do you have?
I’ll try to check the user manual.
Other thing I can think of is that it was not set as a bootable drive to start with.

IF you are coming from a mechanical HD, I would do a clean install of Windows.
As I understand it, Windows does a different setup when it is installing on a SSD. So if you do a clone of a mechanical HD, you don't get that SSD specific setup.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
IF you are coming from a mechanical HD, I would do a clean install of Windows.
As I understand it, Windows does a different setup when it is installing on a SSD. So if you do a clone of a mechanical HD, you don't get that SSD specific setup.
I think that used to be true with Windows 8. But Windows 10 knows what it is doing. I have replaced several system drives with SSDs and Win 10 has configured everything correctly.

Here's a thought. When I do the clone it divides my drive into two because the SSD is 480gb and the original is 320gb. I think this time it named the smaller blank partition "A" and the cloned partition "B".
Could it be trying to read from the blank "A" drive because it is first in the alphabet?

Here's a thought. When I do the clone it divides my drive into two because the SSD is 480gb and the original is 320gb. I think this time it named the smaller blank partition "A" and the cloned partition "B".
Could it be trying to read from the blank "A" drive because it is first in the alphabet?
It could very well.
It could have made the A the system partition or primary one.

After work tonight I'll try renaming them.
Changed to drive A , still not booting. I also saw no option in the BIOS to change boot drive.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom