Installing SSD in HP Probook.

There it is plugged in = when I plugged it in it told me to format it again and this is the result.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Good, so we know the SSD works.

I think you have decided to do a clean install, using a DVD. I'm assuming this in what I say next.
1. How exactly have you formatted the SSD? I suggest you use disk management and delete all the partitions on it. Now start again and keep it simple. Make it an MBR disk with just one NTFS partition that fills the whole disk.

2. Now disconnect the old disk, and plug the SSD into the SATA connector the old disk was connected to.

3. Now boot from the DVD, and install Windows.

Tell us exactly how far you get following these instructions exactly.

Good, so we know the SSD works.

I think you have decided to do a clean install, using a DVD. I'm assuming this in what I say next.
1. How exactly have you formatted the SSD? I suggest you use disk management and delete all the partitions on it. Now start again and keep it simple. Make it an MBR disk with just one NTFS partition that fills the whole disk.

2. Now disconnect the old disk, and plug the SSD into the SATA connector the old disk was connected to.

3. Now boot from the DVD, and install Windows.

Tell us exactly how far you get following these instructions exactly.
post #59 is where that approach got me.

Just do what I say.
It is not the same as post 59. There you didn't already have a nice partition waiting for Windows to install to.
This is what I did before installing it. I've also just run a full clone with Macrium, the close was successful, the drive does not boot.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Desmond, I feel your pain. I need to update my desktop to the latest version of W10. And it failed each time I tried several times. I have been very ill for a week.....and am just now ready to tackle it again.... UGH! I'll be starting over.............

Desmond, I feel your pain. I need to update my desktop to the latest version of W10. And it failed each time I tried several times. I have been very ill for a week.....and am just now ready to tackle it again.... UGH! I'll be starting over.............
Twice now I've actually had to plug it into my Macbook to use "disk utility" because none of the Windows computers could find the drive :D

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I advise you to download it directly from Microsoft, and then simply run the setup program from Windows. This speeds things up and eliminates the need to run Windows Update and keep downloading it multiple times.

Twice now I've actually had to plug it into my Macbook to use "disk utility" because none of the Windows computers could find the drive :D
I don’t understand why you would need to do this.
In my case the drive could not be found until it was cloned and that was normal.
Did you update your BIOS and other firmware?

Which Probook laptop have you got?
Everything can be done with that laptop and on that laptop without the need for any other computer.
You just need a second disk bay, either one is provided for in the Probook, or a USB one or may be an optical disk slot one.

Which Probook laptop have you got?
Everything can be done with that laptop and on that laptop without the need for any other computer.
You just need a second disk bay, either one is provided for in the Probook, or a USB one or may be an optical disk slot one.
It's a Probook 6560b. A few times neither the Probook nor the i8700 desktop could 'see' the drive when plugged into a USB port. The only way to get them to see it was to format it in disk utility on my Macbook which recognised it right away.

It's a Probook 6560b. A few times neither the Probook nor the i8700 desktop could 'see' the drive when plugged into a USB port. The only way to get them to see it was to format it in disk utility on my Macbook which recognised it right away.
Acronis clone function sees the drive even if windows does not.
There is no need to format it with it.
Let me check the Probook’s latest BIOS version.

There are also 1 intel rapid storage driver update, and 5 SSD firmware updates.
I would install all these.
Thanks - interesting, I went to the site and allowed it to install the 'recognition' program, it saw what my laptop was and said there were no updates. When the new drive drive arrives I'll have another go at it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom