Instead of Washington DC's cherry blossoms...

It was a dropdead beautiful Saturday afternoon. My wife hadn't seen the cherry blossoms in a few years, so I urged her to walk around the Tidal Basin with me. I knew there would be hoards of people. I took one lens -- my 180mm f/2.8. For cherry blossoms? Nope. Perfect for being among thousands of people and taking candids.

The cherry blossoms bring out the romanticism in all of us. Heck, some of us are inspired to make a self-portrait.

95264209.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The blossoms are so gorgeous that some people can't resist the temptation to call their friends and tell them all about them.

View attachment 177082

Others make picture frames out of the blossoms.

View attachment 177083

Though the National Park Service frowns on climbing the trees (even minor damage to the trees allows disease to set in), the kids climb them to have their pictures taken. I didn't encourage them, but I plead guilty to not discouraging them.

View attachment 177084

Naturally, cameras were everywhere. Can you believe this stylish photographer was actually alone?

View attachment 177085

Even the celebrities were out and about (though this picture was taken early in the morning a couple days earlier.) Notice that the pretty Japanese girls are clearly underwhelmed by Willard Scott's television antics.

View attachment 177086

For me, the most heartwarming scenes were the families enjoying the cherry blossoms -- and their pictures.

View attachment 177087

Thanks for the nod, Mike.

The last picture was taken at f/2.8. Though I like it, it would hang on a wall if the depth of field allowed all four people to be in focus. I am new to my 180mm lens and learned this weekend from that image and others how not to use it.

The next time I use it as a walkaround lens for candids, I am going to try setting the camera at ISO 400 and f/4.0 with the hope of attaining a shutter speed of 1/250s or faster and a large enough depth of field. Any tips anyone has for how they use the 180mm to take candids are appreciated.

Very nice Mike; I agree that last one is ideal. The thing that makes the Cafe stand out from the rest is the variety of photographic perspectives you see. Frankly up till now I've ignored the people just enjoying the beauty of the cherry blossoms. This gives me added impetus to go next year and try what you've done.

All very fine shots Mike, you really captured the character of the place

SRA

Mike,

A very nice series on the enjoyment others felt during the blossom season. Your captures tend to sell the excitement more than the blossoms themselves.

Nice series and a new perspective. Everyone seems to go to take pictures of the cherry blossoms, the blossoms and the water, the blossoms and the memorial, etc. We forget the wonderful diversity of people wandering around. I couldn't make it this year (out of town for a week and then sick for a week). But, next year I have some new ideas.... Thanks!

Thanks so much to everyone for the nice comments. It's particularly rewarding to see that so many people are getting photographic ideas about the possibility that the people who show show up to observe an iconic event might be more interesting subjects than the event itself.

For those of you familiar with the details of the Tidal Basin, picture this: I get on the 14th Street bridge in mid-afternoon on an absolutely gorgeous Saturday, which is also the last weekend the cherry blossoms are expected to be in relatively full bloom. Everyone knows it's supposed to rain the following day, so the entire area is packed. It takes me an unusually long time to get from the bridge to Parking Lot A, which is completely full. But cars are leaving as quickly as they are arriving. Heck, I had to wait an entire 30 seconds or so for a parking space. When I left three hours later, the guy who took my space had just entered the parking lot.

B

Boa Babe

Mike, the photos of blossom-watchers are wonderful. Cherry blossoms never get "old" to those of us who don't get to see the real thing and I appreciate your paying the parking fee and letting us enjoy.

as an aside....
my 8th grade daughter, mackenzie will be in DC.... from this coming thursday through sunday... with her class (47 of them... and several teachers)

they will be enjoying the cherry blossoms along with some usual and UNusual sites

though she's only taking the Fuji F30.... she's hoping to get some "acceptable" blossom shots for me to show everyone here upon her return

Latest threads

Top Bottom