Insurance for Nikon D2x (and other mega-priced bodies/lenses

I have a D70, so it's not a big concern right now, but was thinking about folks with a DX2 or similarly $$$$$ camera.
Does Nikon have anything like Leica's passport warranty? Leica would repair any damage to your camera, even if was your fault, during the passport warranty period. Kind of an expensive insurance policy, but since you couldn't buy a USA warranty (new) Leica without it.
So assuming Nikon doesn't have such, would a non pro insure a D2x under their homeowners policy? I'm thinking in terms of damage...expensive repair type damage, as well as the usual coverages...fire, theft, loss.
The question also extends to lenses.
Even with the D70, after adding a few lenses, it can add up to a big dollar replacement. So this question is more than just academic for me.

Home owners policy

I just added my D70 and lenses to my home owners policy. I forget what they call it but it is a separate policy covering just the valuables that I listed. Cost me $30 a year and no deductable. The kicker is that it covers virtually everything, including "mysterious dissapearance" what ever that means. I like to fish so I wanted to be sure I was covered if fate should decide that I go swimming with my D70 in some cold river. When I get a chance I will add other items (firearms, wedding rings, etc) to the list. At something like $1.27 per $100 of insured value it really is not very expensive for the peace of mind it brings.

Jeff,

I insure my equipment with a rider on my State Farm homeowners policy. It's not that expensive and covers all perils. You can also cover your PC/Mac that you use for processing and your laptop. I would get a separate rider for firearms, jewelry, etc. rather than putting on my photo gear policy.

Joe

Jay Luto said:
What if you don't own a house ? Can you add it to your car insurance ?

Jay,

I don't know the answer to that but I'm sure you can add a rider to insurance on apartment contents just as you can with a homeowners policy.

Joe

Talked to my insurance agent today. He said my equipment was covered under my homeowners as content. This would cover loss due to any conditions that would affect the house (such as fire/flood...etc) and theft.
However, to have full coverage, for accidental damage..I'd have to have a separate rider. Not a big deal, not a big expense, just gives me more expanded coverage.
So this way if I drop the camera, or break it...and it's unrepairable, I can get it replaced.
Premium is low, and certainly worth the peace of mind. I don't have a lot of expensive stuff, but what I do have is worth over $2000. That could be a big out of pocket if it all got damaged or stolen.
The premiums are just too cheap not to get insurance. The peace of mind is worth it, IMHO.

Latest threads

Top Bottom