Insurance?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by misupix, Nov 9, 2005.

1. I need some advice concerning photo insurance.

We're planing a short trip to Prague in the Czech Republic, There are supposed to be a lot of thieves there! :eek: :eek:

I calculated the worth of my equipment..... puuh, already over 4000€. Not including the soon to come D200. That's a lot of money for me, and I sure can't replace it if it's lost or damaged.

I'm not planing on taking everything with me, only: D70, SB800, Sigma 18-50 f2.8 and probably 70-200 VR.

How do you guys insure your equipment? for how much?
    I found a insurance company here in Germany, but don't know if it's cheap or expensive or if there are better?

Anyone knows this company:

http://www.aktivas.de/f_amateur.htm

Any help is much appreciated!

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. merlin50

merlin50

Nov 5, 2005
    Chicagoland
    I don't know how much cross-over there is between the Cafe and Nikonians but Nikonians JUST began offering insurance policies through a third party at a very reasonable rate to their Silver, Gold and Platinum members. They will insure up to $20,000 (USD) only though.

Regards,

Dave

4. Michael, don't even think about it, just do it. I have never sustained any loss or damage to photo equipment in over 10 years and never had any separate insurance, but when I went digital 18 months ago decided to insure my photo equipment. Last month in Nice I dropped my new D2X with 70-200 lens attached. I have received an estimate from Nikon for repair of £550 sterling - more than 800 euro. Without the insurance I would be worrying about a lot more than how long the repair will take.

5. Thanks very much for your advice!

I have just insured my stuff and feel a lot more relaxed going on the trip now!

And I have just finished packing my bag, just the D70, SB800, Sigma 18-50 f2.8 and 70-200 VR (couldn't leave that at home, even though the weight will probably kill my back!) in a non-photo Backpack.

When I come back from the golden City, I'll post some results (if there are some decent ones :wink: ).