1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Integrating LR2 and CS3

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by TheCommons, Oct 5, 2008.

1. TheCommons

TheCommons

Jul 2, 2008
    LA, CA ;)
    Hey, Ive recently tried out a new workflow consisting of importing into LR2, doing basic adjustments, then importing into CS3 for final touches like noise removal, resizing, color profile conversion and saving as a jpeg.

My question is, after tweaking the image in LR2, is there a way to import it to CS3 without the creation of a new file?

If thats not possible, is it better to import it into CS3 as a TIFF file or a PSD file(With Image IQ in mind)

2. I haven't figured it out yet - BUT - here is what I do

Same process as yours - then EXPORT to TIFF
    This creates a folder named Lightroom Burned Exports and creates TIFF files

Then edit them in CS3 and convert to JPEG

Then I DELETE the L/B/Exports folder - it is not needed anymore

So one extra step - but not a big deal at all

3. I know that some people do additional noise reduction in PS using plug-ins, however pwersoanlly I have not ever found the need to. LR has pretty good noise reduction for most needs, maybe you could play around with it a bit more and see if you can get the results you want.
    All the of your other tasks can be done in LR so if you can sort the noise you will have a simpler flow.

Hope that helps you out !!

Enjoy LR!!

4. Here's the easy way

In LR2 go to;
    Lightroom > Preferences > External Editing
    select the following
    Application > Choose = Adobe Photoshop CS3
    File Format = TIFF
    Color Space = ProPhoto RGB (this is the colorspace recommended by Adobe, you can choose sRGB at Export)
    Bit Depth = 16
    Resolution = 300
    Compression = None

Right click the photo in LR
    select Edit in Adobe Photoshop CS3

Photoshop will open the photo
    edit as you normally would
    when you're done editing hit Save
    Close

The edited photo will appear in the filmstrip next to the original in Lightroom
    If the original was named DSC 9091.NEF the edited version will be named DSC 9091-edit.TIFF

The edited version will include the metadata, star ratings and other LR adjustments.

5. TheCommons

TheCommons

Jul 2, 2008
    LA, CA ;)
    Just in case anyone is interested, I found out that if you are using Photoshop CS3 version 10.0.1, you can import the raw file from LR2 directly(no TIFF/PSD creation) into CS3 as a smart object

6. Can you give a little more detail of how and what happens after it's edited and saved.

7. TheCommons

TheCommons

Jul 2, 2008
    LA, CA ;)
    Basically I do the minor editing in LR2, when Im done, I rightclick the photo and select the option "import to Photoshop as a smart object"

CS3 loads up the file(it seems to be a psd file, but no duplicate image appears on the LR2 library), finish editing and save as jpeg(if you transfer as a 16-bit you might have problem saving as jpeg)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2008
  8. Am I correct that the changes made in Photoshop do not apprear in LR after you save?

9. LR/PSCS3 creates anew file with LR adjustments, if you don't save it it just goes poof!! Saving will save the new file as whatever you choose - with LR and PS adjustments.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.