Intel CPU help

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by lowlight_junkie, Jun 21, 2007.

1. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    I have an intel based asrock dual vsta motherboard (LGA 775) as seen here:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=775Dual-VSTA

I am currently running a P4 3.2 HT cpu in it and am looking to upgrade. A friend has suggested that it may be possible to fit a core 2 duo CPU in it for a speed increase which would help as I would not have to change the motherboard.
    I am running 2 GB or DDR2 667 if that matters and a 512MB radeon x1650 pro.
    Can anyone advise whether a core 2 duo CPU would actually be faster as it seems the MHZ rating is slower.
    I'm totally confused!
    Thanks people

2. core 2 duo is much faster. I replaced a 3.2Ghz machine with a E6600 (2.4Ghz) and all my processor intensive processing take half as long.

Look HERE for comparison

3. The previous poster provided a very helpful link. Spend some time studying the information there.

Here is the readers' digest version of the difference between the P4 family and the Core 2 Duo family:
    - The Core 2 Duo can accomplish more work in each clock cycle. This means that a P4 rated at 3.2 MHz may actually be slower in completing compute intensive tasks than a Core 2 Duo at half that clock rate.
    - The Core 2 Duo, to be able to do all that extra work per clock cycle, has some extra on chip memory and other features that make it more efficient than the P4 family.
    - Since the Core 2 Duo runs at a lower clock rate, it runs cooler. In general, faster clock = hotter chip.

The simple answer to your concerns is that you can buy any Core 2 Duo based system at the slowest clock rate available and it will equal or better the performance of most P4 based systems and, as a side benefit, run much cooler. With any microprocessor family, the sweet spot, balancing performance and cost, is usually a couple of steps down from the bleeding edge, fastest chip. The E6600 mentioned in the previous post seems to be that sweet spot today. That will change as Intel introduces faster chips.

4. Paul Alexy

Paul Alexy

Apr 17, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The nice thing about the Core2Duo is that most people find it to be easy to overclock and thereby get even more speed out of it. My e6600 runs at 3.4 quite easily on an Asus motherboard. I'm not familiar with the Asrock board, but if it supports the Core2Duo chips, you'll see higher speeds and lower temps than your current chip.

5. pixelfun

pixelfun Guest

Chris while the processor upgrade seems worthy, try putting two Raptor 150 in raid 0 if you can. It's like running dual core without the bottleneck of a slow hard drive. You'll thank me later.

6. bh626

bh626

Mar 6, 2006
    Ontario
    1. I would get a Core Duo 6600 (easy to overclock to 3.0ghz - see Toms Hardware forums.) Mine runs at 3.2ghz

2. Have at least 2 gb RAM. I just opened 10 D50 nef's - it took 25 seconds to open/render and 850 mb RAM. With 2 gb RAM, I don't need to access the drive much as the files are in memory.

3. Get decent, fast RAM, PC 6400 or equivalent. Allows you to overclock the CPU. Yours might be ok.

4. Upgrade hard drives. The real life benefits (opening files etc.) of RAID 0, aside from HD test software is questionable. I run a 74gb Raptor for WinXP and 2 x 320 gb Seagates in RAID 1 for Data (protection). Opening the same 10 files I mentioned in pt 2 takes 25 sec from my Raptor or the 2 Seagates...

Here is a good article that looks closely at RAID 0 - http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/03/12/cheap_raid_ravages_wd_raptor/index.html

bh

7. speedlever

speedlever Guest

Chris,

I just built a new C2D machine using the ASRock 4coredual-VSTA and an e4300 oc'd to 2.4 GHz. I think it's as fast (or faster) as my main PC running an e6600 stock (2.4 GHz) and 74Gig Raptor (for OS and programs.) Both are running 2 gigs of DDR2 ram with a 533 divider in BIOS. (one RAM is DDR2-667 and the other is DDR2-800). Vista on both: V/64 on the e6600 and VHP on the e4300.

Check this site for good info on the ASRock mobo. You may find some help there. It has links to the board you have too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2007
  8. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Chris, you can use Core2 Duo with your MB, no problem. However, don't buy your CPU now - Intel will reduce its price on July 22. The D6600 will be discontinued and it will be replaced by the 6550 (2.33 ghz) and 6750 (2.66 ghz) These two will both be well under $200 (maybe 170-190 retail).