Intel CPU price reduction

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by TimK, Jul 6, 2007.

1. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    For those of you that are going to upgrade your PCs, please wait for a few weeks more. Intel will have another price cut on July 22.

The Q6600 will be lowered to $266 from $530.
    The E6600 will be discontinused, replaced by E6550 (2.33G, 1333FSB, $163) and E6750 (2.66G, 1333FSB, $183).

So please wait!:biggrin:

2. technick

technick

Jun 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I am patiently waiting for that chip to come down in price, its time for a major system upgrade. Goodbye AMD and Hello Intel :)

3. Yep, know about it and waiting.. Still getting other parts together...

4. Yay! I should get them for 1/2 that price!

5. Well as of now the Q6600 chip is $270 with a bundled motherboard or $273 the CPU by itself at http://www.mwave.com

6. Try to get a G0 stepping when you buy. This will probably be the last major tweak to the 65nm process before the switch to 45nm next year. I have read several reports on the G0 stepping that detail lower temperatures/power dissipation and more overclocking headroom. It should be possible to run it at 3.0 to 3.2 Ghz without having to raise the Vcore above stock.

7. A quick note, the prices you posted are per 1000 units ordered direct from Intel. Anyways, I ordered a Q6600 yesterday for what works out to be $273USD ($289CAD). It should be shipped by tomorrow and I have next day shipping on it, so hopefuly, fingers crossed, I'll have it up and running by the weekend with the new motherboard and memory! I'm hoping for a decent OC of course.

8. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Has anyone done a before/after with the Q6600 versus the E6600, especially with photo apps?

At the current prices, it's very tempting to upgrade but I'd need to see a significant improvement with PSE, NX or Lightroom to justify the $.

Right now, I'm running a C2D E6600 at 2.76Ghz with no problems on an Asus P5WDH mb, 4G of Corsair DDR2-800 RAM.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who went from dual to quad-core and the results.

TIA,

Bill

9. I am never opposed to upgrading but you realize most systems will not be able to handle the quads.

But wow that is a good price!

I am also wondering why people are putting 4GB RAM into systems when their systems won't recognize it!

10. mallaig

mallaig

Mar 12, 2006
    Most systems will handle quads very well, the question is if they will make use of their full potential. There are enough applications nowadays which do this, games included.

If your 4GB are utilised or not depends entirely on your OS and/or the installed applications. Photoshop, for example, is able to use more than 2GB memory, and with some tweaking you can get Windows XP to address more than 2GB as well. 64Bit operating systems have no problems using all of it out of the box.

11. Well, I can tell you that between my old Pentium 4 system running at 3GHZ and 3GB ram stitching a panorama is about 4 times faster on my new Quadcore Q6600 with Vista 64bit and 4GB RAM.

Old system tool 9 minutes and new system took only 2 minutes...

10 16BIT 70MB TIF files stitched...

The system is not totally setup though. I still have to run the monitor calibration and install the Data drive for the system... Other than that it is pretty darn fast in photoshop processing...
    There are a bunch of Photoshop changes you can make to the settings to speed things up slightly if you are interested...

They can be found here:http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb401088&sliceId=2

As for the difference between the E6600 and Q6600 there is a table on this site that can show you the differences in Photoshop processing..

I personally dfon't think it is worth the cost to switch from a Core2Duo to a Quad since most apps are not Multithreaded, but you will see a bit of a speed increas in some apps like Photoshop and panorama stitching...

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=432&model2=433&chart=187

12. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    32-bit desktop Windows OS's (XP, Vista) in most cases won't be able to use a full 4GB of memory no matter what apps you're using, because starting with XP SP2 Microsoft crippled the PAE mode on these OS's. So you're probably only going to see 3GB if you're lucky, or maybe even as little as 2GB on an SLI motherboard with lots of integrated devices. So even if you don't have 64-bit code to execute, there can be a real advantage to moving to Vista x64 if you have 4GB of RAM. The difference moving to Vista x64 with my Asus P5B Deluxe (which Vista/XP x86 only recognize 2GB of memory on) was very noticeable for Photoshop CS3 and AutoPano Pro.

13. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Eric, one thing to watch out for is if your monitor calibration system is from Gretag Macbeth. The x64 device drivers are not signed, which means Windows Vista won't load them. You can get around this by hitting 'F8' at bootup and choosing the option to disable driver protection, but you'll have to do this each time you want to use the Eye One.

14. I am using a Sypder from Colorvision and I think the 64bit drivers are signed for it.. I have not tried calibrating as of yet.. ill do in a day or two... Other thing I am thinking is adding a extra 4GB or RAM to max out a 8GB... Photoshop will use the extra RAM as the scratch disc instead of writing to the Hard disc...

15. If you make the small adjustment to the 3GB switch in the autoexec file the system will see up to 3GB RAm on the system to use... Not sure how to expalin the change you have to make, but you must be very careful when doing it as to not change anything else...

My Photoshop recognizes over 3GB of RAM available...

You can find almost everything with 64bit drivers.. I say again almost everything for 64bit system. There might be a few exceptions for drivers...

16. I have both (spyder and eye-1) the spyder doesnt need the F8 at vista start up. But I prefer the eye-1 so F8 works great.

17. I have the same hardware setup, was very pleased with CS3 performance (especially since I built this rig for PP only :biggrin:)

18. what video card are you using w/the quad?

19. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    To be clear, I'm talking about the x86 OS's, not x64. And I'm not talking about the 2GB limit that applications normally see. The operationg system itself wasn't seeing the full 4GB. It has to do with the way hardware devices are mapped into memory (usually between 3-4GB). The /3GB switch doesn't help with this, nor did the /PAE switch (which prior to XP SP2 did help, and still does help on Win2k3 Server).

Mine too now that I'm running Vista64.

20. As for video card i just got a EVGA 256MB Nvidia 8600GT card to run with DirectX 10 in Windows.. It is more than enough for photo processing...