Interesting Acquisition

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mike mac, May 14, 2007.

1. I just saw that Amazon.com has purchased Dpreview, wonder how that will affect the site, hopefully a little bit more moderation in regards to the forums. I know a lot of us met or got our start there. I still visit but am still amazed at the trolling that goes on there.

2. Oh, thanks for the info, interesting development.
    But a bit strange as I wonder how independent the reviews will keep...

Very true.

3. :eek:

I suspect that will greatly diminish; nothing like threatened lawsuits to a corporation. That makes two groundbreaking Digital Photography sites in the past year; first Galbraith's and now the "dark side." :wink:

I wonder if that means the Cafe's ranks will swell with new folks. :confused:

Rich

4. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Amazon doesn't care about review independence, they care about advertising their products and making money, pure and simple, it's about the bottom line. The owners of DP Review had probably just had enough, and wanted to cash in I guess.

5. exposinglife

exposinglife

Apr 12, 2007
    NC
    I saw a few of the threads and, according to Phil Askey, he's still in control of content and editorial duties. That's what the word is now, but things can change.

It will be interesting to go back 6 or 12 months from now and see what it looks like.

6. jcdoss

jcdoss

Feb 20, 2007
    Kansas City
    Corporate America scares me. This is not good news for DPReview. No matter what rights Phil thinks he will retain, the resource will undoubtedly suffer.

7. Wow, interesting development. I really hope Phil will retain control as he says is the plan. His reviews were essential in helping me to choose a camera, and I still visit the forums often. I hope they'll be able to beef up the moderating on the forums, though I give Phil and staff huge credit for maintaining them as he has. I help moderate a 4000+ person Freecycle group, and that's hard work (and it's probably nothing compared to the size of the dpr posting group.) What a fabulous reward for Phil, to have grown such an excellent site that amazon decided to purchase it.

OTOH, I've seen this before with iVillage. I can't recall which corporate bigwig bought them, but initially the word was that nothing would change. It wasn't long before the mass bannings began, and no one was allowed to say a discouraging word. So, I guess time will tell!

8. I rarely visited DPReview and if I did, it was to read a review, which was generally helpful. The problems some people encountered in the forums at DPR, I only heard about.

However, having experienced too many takeovers / mergers/ acquisitions in the past 40 years of my professional life, I have developed a rather cynical view of how successful these things are. I am convinced that it is rare that the spirit of an acquired company <company culture> will survive - in this case- such "a marriage of unequals". While it may be important to retain some of the personnel for a certain period of time, eventually those that do not fit in with the new masters will be made to disappear. Those folks will include key managers that were given a retention bonuses and in the end, usually only left are those that where not involved in any type of strategy setting that made the old company successful.

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Speaking of corporate take overs and sales.

Chrysler has been sold.............

10. More like Chrysler has been un-bought.

And we can all trust that if a company takes over another, there will be changes. It is inevitable.

11. Shades of Studebaker and Nash.

Rich

12. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    never been a big DPReview guy though nothing against it, relative to my prior comments. I dont' know the ownership, and don't know how many people help etc.... I read the reviews, yeah, some. that's about it. There's a reason I have over 3000 posts here. I've been here, not there, lol.

13. German pronunciation

From a German friend:
    Question-
    "What is the correct way to pronounce Daimler/Chrysler?"
    Answer-
    "The Chrysler is silent."

:tongue:

14. I wonder what they have to say about buying Chrysler for $36 billion and selling it for $7 billion?

Rich

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    They said
    ouch

putting it nice...lolol

16. In listening to a group of financial journalists being interviewed yesterday, one mentioned that Chrysler, at the time of acquisition by DaimlerBenz , had a multi - billion $ pension benefits cash reserve. Shortly after the merger was completed that reserve disappeared in to the general funds of DaimlerBenz never to be seen again...

The speculation is that the company making the acquisition is especially interested in Chrysler's financial arm , as they also have a majority interest in GMAC. >50% By taking Chrysler private, they do not have to deal with the quarterly agony/pressures of meeting Wall Street expectations etc.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2007
  17. Chrysler also had a huge corporate cash balance that bailed out Daimler from potential failure. Chrysler was paying a lot of money to Daimler for "administrative" duties. It's a game international corporations play to avoid paying taxes. I had worked for one, we were making money hand over fist, but our corporate admin expenses exceeded the profit...all to avoid US taxes.

18. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    Except that now Phil reports to someone else, instead of owning the site and having cart blanche to write as he sees it.

19. PM Sent

20. Nobody censors out any site names. The folks are being playful. It is dpreview.com. It was started in 1998 and has been probably the premier site in the world for digital photography..in terms of size and scope. Rather than explain why the Cafe was started please go there and lurk a while, as long as you desire. Ask some basic questions, real basic questions. Ask about the D3; ask why Nikon isn't keeping up with Canon. See if you can find a post where someone tells about losing a job, or losing a loved one, or asks for prayers because someone they care for is very ill, or announces the birth of their child, or posts images of a loved one's violin recital.

Decide for your self. Then come back to the Cafe, sit down and have a virtual cup of coffee and talk with friends about photography.

Rich