Interesting article

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Iliah, May 7, 2005.

1. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thanks Iliah,

I read that. Most goes over head. But I keep reading. Maybe sometime it will make sence. :>))

I keep trying RML , but that is a bit over my head to.

Thank you

3. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Gale,

"The Kelvin scale in color theory is based on the blackbody curve locus, which indicates what color a perfect blackbody radiator would reflect, if heated up at different temperatures measured in Kelvin. As a single parameter this is too limiting, or even outright misleading for all possible light situations, so the actual color temperature should also be annotated with a second parameter indicating how far away. and in which direction from the blackbody locus the actual value is."

This simply means that color temperature in Kelvins is not sufficient to set WB - it can be set only for very simple lighting situations.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    My older daughter, 23, big pain :) And I'm her father.

Little bit more complicated, especially in case of light sources with line spectrum. Nikon is using simplified spectral correction, and you can not imitate that even with click on gray. First you need to choose correct light source at least to allow algorithm to work.

That is why I think WB coefficients are rather misleading, and compromizing camera capabilities if everything is based on those 2 numbers.

6. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    If I may ask, what would be the proper way to get correct WB for everyday shooting?

7. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    It really depends on the converter used. For NC and RML it is choosing the type of light and compenstion; then setting WB from neutral subject. We will add some options for white balance to support independent setting of white balance sliders and type of light. We are also working on support of light spectrum readings EyeOne Photo provides.

8. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    In novice terms that I can understand...

Select a preset WB that is close.
    Then select neutral gray.

Now for the tricky question. :)

How neutral does the gray need to be?

9. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Although I would agree that the Expodisk is absurdly expensive (at about $100 USD) it does make setting white balance very easy and accurate.

There are lot's of ways to set white balance. I've tried many. Finally, I bought the Expodisk because it's accurate, small, sturdy, handy (it hangs from my neck on it's included strap - see my Avatar) and convenient.

Hey! All that for only $100!