Interesting DOF non-scientific test

Well I just picked up a 50mm 1.4 lens earlier this week. As I was playing with it I ended up taking a few shots out of my car window pointed at the mirror. I shot a series at f stops, 1.4, 2.0, 2.8, 4, 8, and 16. I thought how the DOF and bokeh interacted were really interesting. I also noticed how sharp the background was at all f stops.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Looks like the lens was focused around infinity, so what you see is what you should expect. If, instead, you focused on the edge of the mirror, then you'd have a different blur series.

Would it be? To be in focus wouldn't it need to be focused at the approximately 3 foot distance between the camera lens and mirror? I'll have to check next time.

No, it is not focused on the mirror, it is focused on the object the mirror is reflecting, which appears to be quite a bit more than 1 meter.

Notice how out-of-focus the frame of the mirror is, and how much "clearer" it is at f/8. You're clearly not focused on the mirror itself.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom