Interesting experience with my polarized filter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Matt S, Aug 14, 2005.

1. I found that it was fooling my meter and causing me to actually overexpose the image. I would have thought it would tend to the opposite since you loose a stop of light or two. Anyway long story short I found I got better results by underexposing 1/3 -2/3 of a stop. I shoot in manual so I am very sure about the meter readings. This is the first I have noticed this. I tried both matrix and center weighted with the same results. I am curious as to why the filter would affect the meter in this way.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Check and make sure the filter is a circular polarizer, Matt. Linear polarizers affect the light meter because the light meter optics add a component of linear polarization from passing through a beam-splitter.

You might also try shooting in spot metering mode, in case the now-dark sky is fooling the matrix meter.

3. Thanks chris, I wondered about the sky. It was a fair portion of the scene, not dominate but maybe a third of the photo. certainly enough to effect the image. However the mountains were thickly covered in green foliage that could have fooled the meter into thinking the scene was darker when all the glare was removed from the leaves, moss and grass blades. I generaly use foliage to double check exposure when shooting as I figure a frame filled with this is approximately 18% grey. It is an old film habit that I fall back on even though I have a historgram available right in front of me. It is all interesting to think about. Light can be a funny thing. --Matt

For Chris, yes, it is a circular polarizer. :D

4. That's interesting, I have not had problems with my circular polarizer.

5. I could certianly be the "cheap" (I am embaressed to name the brand) filter that I have. I really would like to get a quality filter with a warming tint to it. Ideally I would like to match the polarized sunglasses I wear. they are very lightly tinted amber. just enough to warm up my view a bit.

6. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
  7. debult

debult

Jun 11, 2005
    The Netherlands