interesting fellow

Discussion in 'People' started by huskey8, Mar 16, 2005.

1. huskey8

huskey8

Feb 22, 2005
    Last week I went to visit a friend who is a county court judge here in Broward county. After a nice lunch with my friend I hung out around the courthouse entrance for about 15 minutes, what was that phrase that they used during the Gulf war I........... target rich so today I went back with my 828 and this was the first one that I took. I think with my new found interest in people photography I'm going to be spending some time downtown. :)
    Richard

[​IMG]

2. Interesting shot Richard. Homelessness is truely sad. :( :( :( :( :(

3. That guy has built himself quite a walking stick. Very colorful character and of course the Garfield shirt just adds to the persona.

4. The look on his face seems to imply that he's got loads of stories to tell -- you can almost see his character just from the picture! Did you get a chance to talk to him, Richard?

5. huskey8

huskey8

Feb 22, 2005
    Hi David

Your right he was a treasure. Perhaps you noticed his watch cap he served in the Merchant Marine during WW11 apparently at the time blacks in the Military were assigned menial jobs but the merchant marine did not restrict the jobs available to them. He told me that he started out shoveling coal in the engine room working 12-14 hr days . He was such a good story teller I could just see the horrid conditions he must have endured. When they would be under alert for a submarine attack they would close all the watertight doors in essence sealing them in their own coffin if sunk. He later moved up through the ranks and later became a chief petty officer and was aggressively sought by captains of other ships because of the efficient way he supervised the men on his ship. He had 3 ships shot out from under him in the Atlantic and the reason he walks with that stick is because his hip was shattered in one of the attacks. His name is Chief petty officer Chet Peterson he gave his youth and blood so that future generations could be free. I was proud to have meet him. He is not homeless and lives a nice life here in Fort Lauderdale

6. Poor guy looks hungry, sad, and homeless from your excellent shot. The stick he is walking with looks like an old curtain rod. I am glad to hear he is not homeless and living the good life in Florida!! :) :) :) Great story too!! :) :) :)