interesting gift..

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by italy74, May 7, 2007.

1. Hi all there
    it seems that true friends still exist! A colleague of mine, after a lot of favorable exchanges with him, decided to make me a gift, unexpected but surely appreciated. Due to the use of macro, I was looking for a macro flash that I could choose between the latest Nikon and the Sigma 140 DG.. Even in the best case, it meant spending money.. But he found a vivitar dunut macroflash 5000 in "mint conditions", used but practically new, for about 40$ somewhere at his usual photo shop. Its adapter ring was exactly a 55mm (as my Tamron is) so he asked me to test.. and when I told him "I think it is good, overall", he said: "I wanted you to tell that: it's a little gift for you".

I have to admit that I'm not that practical with GN, meters and diaphragms, but, macro aside, and due to its low (5) GN, I discovered that it is a good portrait flash, since it removes ANY shadow BEHIND the subject. I quickly noticed that to shoot at iso 100 f2.8 I have to be at 2m and at 4m if I shoot at iso 400. Colour rendition, not to be a i-TTL or so flash (just AUTO with its own sensor, or MANUAL), looks really nice and natural. It looks like it smoothens a bit the subject but maybe it's just an impression.
    Instructions tell to shoot at x-sync (1/250s for D200) with the appropriate diaphragm (down to F22 at 20 cm from the subject)

Anyone there has ever used a macro flash to shoot close portraits? What about this kind of experience? I know usually people use bounced flashes to give shadows to the subjects, but it could be a special purpose item.. or not? Thanks a lot in advance. All the best.

2. Use of ringflash to provide a catchlight in the eyes, or even lighting in portraits, is pretty common. Just take a look through the portfolios of any of the famous fashion photogs...you're bound to see a donut glint in an eye somewhere :smile:

Ming

3. Ciao Ming
    yes, you're right about the eye effect, and my friend warned me of that... anyway I guess it should be quite easy to remove... or not?
    And.. let me guess.. is the 500 the lens you have mounted on your avatar??? The front lens is really huge... :)