Interesting or BUNK?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by jfenton, Apr 13, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Being the kind that really gets frustrated when I can't figure something out, I was of course pouring over the images I've shot with the X again and this time trying to find a constant if the shots which were really good.

I may / may not have found an intersting issue?

A full 80% of all my "acceptable" flight shots exhibit this quality...
    All were shot in either AF-S or AF-C single area
    All were shot with release set to "focus"
    All were at either f 7.1 or 8
    All were between 1/400 and 1/1250 (So were my crappy ones for the most part)

I am kind of anal, so I like to study things in NC like where the focus point was on an image3 and how it affected the image.

Here's 3 examples out of the 80% of the acceptable shots.
    These are all screen captures and the SHOW FOCUS AREA is activated in NC.

Notice anything?

I don't know if any of this means squat but my questions are:

A) Why isn't there a focus area lit up?
    B) Why did the camera fire?

I did e-mail them to Nikon just in case.

original.

View attachment 7337

View attachment 7338

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    The only thing I can say is that not all of my shots will show the Big Red focus area on NC.

I am not convinced it is accurate, Jim.

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Thanks Gale

I had nothing here to compare it to so I do appreciate your input.

Interesting though that my out of focus shots sure show it.

Oh well...time to ponder away some more.

4. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Interesting. I was not aware that NC could or is supposed to show the focus area. I purchased the software when I first got the D1X and a free upgrade soon thereafter. Both are still sitting unopened in the original box.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim,

I'm with Gale on this one. I checked about 10 shots in NC, and only two of them showed the focus indicator. Several were from a series of burst shots where I know that the settings were identical (one with the indicator, the rest without).

Looks like, for whatever reason, this is an unreliable indicator. If you find out differently, please give us an update.

Frank

6. Two good questions!

A) If it is suppose to show up it should show up regardless of where the focus point is. That means it is broken and needs to be addressed by Nikon but don't hold your breath! :roll:

Ps: I have lots without it also!

B) If set to focus it should NOT fire. So what does that mean? Maybe a short that is bypassing this? Maybe a faulty switch?? Could be many things but it should not fire, it is not suppose to if set to Focus!! :?

7. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

As to loss of focal point. Should not occur on nef or jpg out of camera.
    However when you make file format changes in PS you loose
    focal point read out. Not grid or highlights etc

I also have been thinking a great deal about problems that you and others are having.
    I was just rereading an article about the D2h firmware upgrade 1.00 to 2.00. Not 2.00 to 2.01.

It it was discussed sports on the field [not bird shooting]
    Well sports in the field have clearly defined uniforms, faces etc.
    I just took a look at some of your posted bird shots from Merritt Island.
    They all had clearly sharp edges.

Now you are shooting 600-700-800mm and the Owls do not have sharp edges so it is harder to get a sharp focus.

Also maybe you need to shoot faster much faster- yes I know ISO must then be increased.

Also maybe spot focus would be better.

Maybe I'm all wet, and crazy.

Birger

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    HI Monty / Birger

Well...here it is at 4:56 AM..I just woke up and I had to read technical stuff from you? Thanks pal (kidding of course).

I do believe serial number is indicative of your potential to have a problem as I know of others really close who exhibit the same issues. It obviously doesn't mean that you do have a problem as birger seems to be doing pretty well with his.

I honestly don't believe it's a matter of having to change your shooting style because it's a 12 MP camera. I think it's something out of line, out of whack, screwed up..whatever. I've heard of several D2Hs units now exhibiting similar issues, so it's seems likely that it is in fact tied to something amiss in the CAM2000 stem somewhere. Fortunately for others, it doesn't seem to affect everyone.

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    My experience with this:

My Nikon D2hs does the same thing, from the basic tests i have done, i have decided this, when you have your camera set to AF-C mode and you shoot of a series of shots (at CH in my case) the shots that dont have a red rectangle on dont have focus, but thats not to say they arent in focus, its just the camera didnt think they were.

Anyone else got any ideas?

12. With all of these problems creeping up with the X, does anyone think that a Firmware can help fix them so cameras don't have to be sent in for repair. I don't want to do that, because I only have one X and would miss it terribly.

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Jim,

I also red in the Nikon NC up date pdf that it will not show if it is not a CPU lens.

PDF file available at the Nikon site.