Interesting Spidy shot

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Flew, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Not the best shot I've seen lately, but interesting to me from a couple of aspects. I got this shot fairly early this morning as I went out to load my gear into the truck. I saw my spider friend in his (her??) usual location, and just couldn't resist the temptation to get a few shots. My flash batteries went flat before I could take more than 2 or 3 shots, but this one came out OK.

One of the two interesting things to me about it is the way that s/he appears to be knitting together the center of the web. I've never seen this in person before. Maybe I'm just looking at this wrong, but that looks like what is happening at the moment of the shot.

The second thing is the dark background. I did use flash, and I was pretty close, but I never expected this effect. It was early, but it really was broad daylight. I think it looks cool.

Enuf rambling. Here's the pic. :)

[​IMG]

Taken with the D2H and my new Tamron 180 macro lens (thanks again Crystall ;-)).

2. This one really came out nice.
    To me it looks as if she were just sitting there holding together the threads of her torn web :lol: :lol:
    Cheers

3. Cool shot and nice contrast with the black background.

Maybe spidy would enjoy a nice juicy dobson fly?

4. The holding of the web by the spider adds interest to the photo, and the flash has lighted up the web so its nicely visible.

I allways have trouble with the undersides of spiders, there are no eyes for a focal point and the bottoms are a lot shinier so blowing highlights is a problem.

Well done.

Martin

5. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Excellant shot Frank!

In addition to the previous comments, I also like how it appears her underside is glowing. It really grabs your eye.

Joe

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. the color and sharpness are very good, it's quite difficult to focus on those web unless we spray them with water.

8. Very well done neat to capture a special moment like that, need to get a good macro but that will have to wait now since depleting my lens fund on the 200-400.

9. Fascinating work Frank. Congratulations on your new lens. I have no doubt that it will give you (as well as us) many pleasurable images. Macro is very interesting because you tend to take your time in set up and often end up seeing things that would not otherwise be noticed.

10. Nice one Frank....looks like you've got that lens hummin' !! :)

11. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Hi Frank:

This is super! I love photographing spiders as long as they are outside my house :D I agree with Martin about the shiny underbelly of spiders. This is a very interesting aspect of the spider and it does appear that she is holding her web together. This is about the time of year around here, when the really big spiders start coming out and making those beautiful webs.

Looks like a really nice lens, too. :D

12. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Mike -

Did I know that you had sprung for the 200-400? Congrats! :) :) :) Hope you are enjoying it!

Gordon

13. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Frank -

Way cool! :) :) :) Everyone else has already given you the reasons. If you catch my butterfly post you'll see that I may get a macro and start going after the little guys. Didn't I tell you a couple of weeks ago that I wasn't interested in bugs? :oops:

Gordon

14. Frank, really cool shot. I showed to my 17 yr old Son, who hates spiders, he got the "willies".

15. That is an ugly guy Frank, no wonder most everyone is afraid of them. Your image is very good.

16. Nice shot Frank. :D :D

17. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Sorry it took so long to check this one out. Looks kind of cool and almost looks like it is backlit.

very sharp.