Interesting Spidy shot

Not the best shot I've seen lately, but interesting to me from a couple of aspects. I got this shot fairly early this morning as I went out to load my gear into the truck. I saw my spider friend in his (her??) usual location, and just couldn't resist the temptation to get a few shots. My flash batteries went flat before I could take more than 2 or 3 shots, but this one came out OK.

One of the two interesting things to me about it is the way that s/he appears to be knitting together the center of the web. I've never seen this in person before. Maybe I'm just looking at this wrong, but that looks like what is happening at the moment of the shot.

The second thing is the dark background. I did use flash, and I was pretty close, but I never expected this effect. It was early, but it really was broad daylight. I think it looks cool.

Enuf rambling. Here's the pic. :)

31634794-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Taken with the D2H and my new Tamron 180 macro lens (thanks again Crystall ;-)).

This one really came out nice.
To me it looks as if she were just sitting there holding together the threads of her torn web :lol: :lol:
Cheers

The holding of the web by the spider adds interest to the photo, and the flash has lighted up the web so its nicely visible.

I allways have trouble with the undersides of spiders, there are no eyes for a focal point and the bottoms are a lot shinier so blowing highlights is a problem.

Well done.

Martin

J

JMartin

Excellant shot Frank!

In addition to the previous comments, I also like how it appears her underside is glowing. It really grabs your eye.

Joe

Very well done neat to capture a special moment like that, need to get a good macro but that will have to wait now since depleting my lens fund on the 200-400.

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
Fascinating work Frank. Congratulations on your new lens. I have no doubt that it will give you (as well as us) many pleasurable images. Macro is very interesting because you tend to take your time in set up and often end up seeing things that would not otherwise be noticed.

Hi Frank:

This is super! I love photographing spiders as long as they are outside my house :D I agree with Martin about the shiny underbelly of spiders. This is a very interesting aspect of the spider and it does appear that she is holding her web together. This is about the time of year around here, when the really big spiders start coming out and making those beautiful webs.

Looks like a really nice lens, too. :D

G

Gordon Large

mike mac said:
Very well done neat to capture a special moment like that, need to get a good macro but that will have to wait now since depleting my lens fund on the 200-400.

Mike -

Did I know that you had sprung for the 200-400? Congrats! :) :) :) Hope you are enjoying it!

Gordon

G

Gordon Large

Hey Frank -

Way cool! :) :) :) Everyone else has already given you the reasons. If you catch my butterfly post you'll see that I may get a macro and start going after the little guys. Didn't I tell you a couple of weeks ago that I wasn't interested in bugs? :oops:

Gordon

Latest threads

Top Bottom