1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Intermittent D50 problems

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by YEKCIM, Sep 12, 2008.

1. YEKCIM

YEKCIM

Jul 27, 2007
    Alabama
    In a nutshell, from time to time, my D50 will fail to display the aperture selected on the top LCD, showing instead, "--F--". Shutter will not fire, of course. I have noticed this only with the 50/1.8D. A little "jiggling" of the lens will sometimes result in the aperture being displayed normally, although usually just temporarily. The lens aperture ring is set to f/22 and the aperture ring is locked in that position.

Also have had intermittent problems with AF-S lenses not autofocusing on the D50 (they all work fine on the D80) and, again, the shutter will not fire since there is no focus lock.

My suspicion is some minor misalignment of the lens/lens-mount electrical contacts, but that is just a guess.

Has anyone here had this occur and, if so, is it worth sending back to Nikon for service to correct?

TIA.

~Ed

2. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Sorry to hear about your issues Ed, if the 50/1.8 is particually problematic maybe you could try cleaning its CPU contacts.

Allthough as you say because there are sometimes problems with other lenses it may well be the D50 connections which are at fault.

Maybe you could explain the issue to Nikon and see if you can get an estimate in advance, spending a large amount might not be worth it.

Keep us posted...

3. YEKCIM

YEKCIM

Jul 27, 2007
    Alabama
    Thanks. I have tried (carefully!!) to clean both camera and lens contacts with no improvement. I have send Nikon service an email describing the issue and hope to get some sort of guidance from them. As you suggest, it may not be worth the expense to repair.

~Ed

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.