International Polar Year and the people of the Arctic.....

Greetings Fellow Nikon Cafe folks:

I thought I would make a (single post) to supply you with a treasure-trove of information and links to many different types of media that has come about as a result of the International Polar Year. In a lot of ways this post will not be for the people who are not interested in the Arctic or the people who live there. But if you are interested there is a ton of info in the following links....

In the way of background - The International Polar year is an event that happens in the world every 50-years. The last one was in 1958 and the most recent one was in 2008.

As part of IPY I was attached to a project called the Circumpolar Flaw Lead system study (CFL) that took place above Canada in the High Arctic. This project is considered to be the largest IPY project and the largest of it's kind in the world. Amazing enough I was the only full time photographer on the project and my job was to collect the images needed to tell the story of the project and the people of the Arctic as I traveled the region for 15 months. In the end I took just over 27,000 images and worked in some of the most extreme conditions one could image.

Here is a quick shot I collected for Patrick and the Nikon Cafe...

cafe1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The amount of information that came out of IPY has really been great as this is a region of the world most people no little about. So getting different types of media that people can access, is a great way to not just show the science, but also show the Arctic and the people who live there.

For my part, the results of my effort can be found in a (288 page) hard covered book call TWO WAYS OF KNOWING - Info on this book can be found here:

http://ipy-cfl.ca/index.html

A preview of the book can be found here:

http://ipy-cfl.ca/book_sample/index.html

Today was a major launch from the "Geographical Society"

Canadian Geographic January, 2010 issue

COVER_JF10.jpg

And the French version Geographica

geographica.jpg

It is my understanding that both magazines are on News Stands and you can get more info from this link:

http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/magazine/jf10/default.asp

The online media that is coming with these magazines is really very interesting and in the following I will try and hit the highlights.....

screenshot4.jpg

My images are spread through many sections of this effort including both covers. To be honest that is not the issue, the issue is there is some great pieces and all it takes is a little time and you will learn a little I'm sure.

A case in point would be this link:

Got to it and click on the video - "Melting Land"
http://canadiangeographic.ca/magazine/jf10/ipy-multimedia.asp#photoessays

I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Anyway in closing I just wanted to put all this stuff in one place as I get asked a lot about places to learn and see about the Arctic as most people will never go there.

If you want to read a little from my Blog as I traveled the Arctic you can find my blog posts here:

http://dougbarberphotography.com/page11/page11.php

Good luck and I hope you enjoy.

Doug

Last edited by a moderator:

McQ

Still looking to break 80 consistently.
Real Name
Glenn
Thanks for sharing all this, Doug!
Great new links and it's gratifying to see the magazines now on sale.

For anyone who hasn't been following this:

I love the book. You guys should check it out. There is a realness to it and a connection made through the biographies, stories and amazing photos. It's super high quality and just awesome (sorry if I am embarrassing Doug with all this praise!).

The blog and the CFL system study site are great. Definitely check them out.

I'm currently trying to get my high school's science department to contact Doug so we can participate in the "Schools on Board" program. So far, no success, but I'm going to pester them some more. :biggrin:

Again, thanks Doug!

Love the book too! One of my graduate students who worked on community sustainability issues in Alaska used it as a reference in her recently-completed thesis! It is truly a work of love and of art and of humanity. THANK YOU!

Doug- Your book is a wonder. I've looked at every single photo and read a lot of it. Thanks for sharing this!

Thanks everyone for the kind words on the book and effort we are trying to achieve with it.
The Arctic has been a fun place to shoot and one I remember for many years to come.

thanks again

Doug

I am enjoying your book Doug. The pictures are super and the quality excellent. This was quite a project and I take my hat off to you and the overall effort this took to produce.

Latest threads

Top Bottom