Internet purchase- Arggghhh

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mitchell, Aug 26, 2005.

1. I responded to a for sale of a D2X on another Web site last night. The guy emails me back this morning about the details. I responded that I wanted to buy the camera and requested his phone number to arrange payment.

He emailed me back that I had 10 minutes to call him or he would sell to someone else. Of course I read this email one hour later and called him. The guy sold the camera to someone else claiming that this is just the way it is done! Silly me, I was in the operating room working and not able to check my emails every minute.

Am I crazy, or was this guy out of line?

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    There's the problem. The general rule of internet buying is caveat emptor - let the buyer beware. The guy probably had another buyer on the line and you were an unknown person. So he sold it to the first person with the dough.

Here at the Cafe, we try to have a more open, trusting relationship between buyer and seller, so the seller will often be more patient.

Good luck with your camera search!

3. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hi Mitch,

You may be better off not having bought from this guy. This is certainly not the way one would or should handle an Internet sale. I myself had a bad experience when I wanted to buy an airconditioner for my mother. The company's manager send me quickly a first quote. When I asked for another quote of a smaller model, no reply. After I talked to him on the phone everything seemed OK and I gave him the credit card details for payment. The airconditioner never arrived, the money was gone. Well, I eventually got hold of this manager and he promised to return the money. More than a month hastle have passed, with a dozen emails and faxes and calls to the company and my credit card company.
    My first gut feeling was "don't". But then I wanted to finish with this and airconditioners aren't that common in Germany than they are in the US or here.

When someone behaves like you described, it's fishy. Perhaps it was a stolen camera, or something wrong with it. I'm sure there will be other and better opportunities.

4. I agree. I should just let it go. The thing that bugs me is not being treated the way I wish to treat others. I've bought and sold camera equipment on the internet before. My transactions on the cafe have always been the best. I've even sent stuff out with no payment so people can inspect it!

This guy just went for the quick buck and didn't really do the "right" thing. Oh well, it's his karma!

mitch

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    My gut reaction to almost anything that "has to be done quickly" is that it is a scam. That's the scammer's tactic, get you on the hook quick, get your money fast before you have time to think about it. You are better passing this one up, reputable people are patient, (to a point) and who knows what is wrong with the camera. If there was something wrong, you'd never be able to get a hold of him again.

6. You have to be VERY careful of sellers who want to make that 'quick' sale. Nine times out of ten, it's probably a scam in someway. You will definitely find a d2x at the price you're looking for elsewhere. Thankfully, I have never had problem with dealing with anyone (person or business) online. I just go by the theory that if it's too good to be true, then it probably is.

7. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    It's probably a good thing

you didn't get the call in on time. Something tells me this was not completely on the up and up. Something just doesn't smell right.
    Jarrell

8. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I agree with the others ... something was not quite right here, and you'll probably never know what the outcome is for the actual buyer. There's plenty more D2X's out there.

Personally, whenever I feel rushed or am being pushed into a deal like this (and it's not a small amount of money for this equipment) in Australia, we call this "smelling a rat", and it turns me off the deal quick smart.

I'd look on the positives here, you got a free lesson to stay alert ! I reckon you did well to stay clear of this seller.

9. Thanks for all of the replies and support. I think this guy was legit, but he just handled himself in an unprofessional manner.

mitch

10. In a sellers market things often go that way. You would hope that they might be a little more proffesional.