Into the Hole

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by gbenic, Aug 31, 2005.

1. I am looking for some advice. Which image do you prefer and why? The horizontal is a 100% crop of the vertical. Also, how can I make it better? I really like the concept but want to improve on execution.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. number 2 does it better for me. nice concept that you are relating. If you had to do it vertical, I would start at the same point on the tracks and crop out the extra bottom that you had in the vertical presentation. there is not enough sky to make any difference so this is the one I think relays your vision the best.

3. Thanks Dave. Now that you mention it, I totally agree about the sky. I preferred number 2 as well. I will have to go back and reshoot the full frame.

4. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Nicely done Greg, #2 as well for me. If I may just offer one suggestion, perhaps a tad more to the right, getting in the middle of the tracks.

Oh, just for insurance purposes, keep looking behind you. :eek:

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Actually, I like the vertical better, the first one. What I like: the tracks heading into the hole. How to make it better: crop the top, get rid of the grey, nothing sky and all the trees that don't add to the scene. Crop a touch off the left side, too.
    If you can reshoot, I'd step to the right and frame it so that the tracks lead in from the lower left toward the upper right. I'd also investigate a different camera height, try one way down low with the camera right on one of the rails, try another from as high in the air as you can get.

6. Rob and Baywing, thanks. I can reshoot and I will try your suggestions.

7. I prefer the vertical. It focuses your attention on the hilltop ahead.

Rich

8. Rich- What hilltop????

9. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    I agree with everything baywing said.

10. Not quite a hill top, but a slight hill rise where the tracks disappear. My point remains. :redface:

Rich

11. Thanks again guys. Rich you have a good point. During my reshoot, I will take Baywing's advice and shoot lower. If the "hilltop" is closer to the top of the image, it could be interesting.