Introduction to some of my work...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, Mar 7, 2005.

1. I've decided to show some of my work for those not familar with my shooting style. I'm current incapacitated and figure why not share for those interested in LA event photography?

I shoot lots of street and event type stuff. If I had the extra money, I wouldn't mind opening a studio in LA, but for now I'm strictly a street shooter. Mostly available light and/or flash photography. I'm a big fan of shutter priority for day shooting and for night work, I shoot strictly Manual for flash photography. While my work doesn't reflect it, I'm a big fan of photographers such as stefan rohner http://stefan-rohner.com/ and James Nachtwey http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

Eventually I would be interested in photographing the working lower and middle class of Los Angeles. Many top end photographers travel around the world to photograph cultural diversity, but really you only have to go a major U.S. city to find it.

I went to traditional art school drawing and memorizing the human figure. In photography I still find the human subject (especially the female :) ) the most interesting subject. Anyways, comments are welcome!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    All I can say Jonathan, is get well soon.... :wink:

Frank

3. No better way to introduce yourself than shots like those, Jonathon. I checked out your website, and was impressed
    by both your eye and your craftsmanship. Sorry to hear the auto accident will keep you away from the streets
    for 3 months, but hopefully you can do some tabletop work or fine tune your studio lighting while you're convalescing,
    and come through with some new skills.

4. Thanks Frank, I updated my site a couple months ago, but now I think I want to update it again and maybe make it a little more interactive. I was thinking of doing some macro work while I'm at home, but I need to pick up a macro lens.

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    June is bustin' out all over!

(June being the girl in the Leopard print top) ;) Always enjoy your work, and hope to see more of it no matter what the subject matter. We need diversity on this forum, and your typical posts certainly provide it! :lol:

6. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ahhh Jonathan it always does me ol' heart good to see your images. Now that you're here I guess it's time to put the good old plastic slobber cover back on the keyboard. :)

Hope you're recovering quickly and not in too much pain.

Neil

7. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Alright Jonathan, this is good stuff. Just what the Cafe needs.

Please hurry up and get well soon..... :)

Thanks,

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. Thanks for sharing your work and your story Jonathan. I hope you recover soon from your accident.

Best wishes,

10. Just a suggestion... if your long term interest will be in spiders, butterflies, and other wee beasties, you'll want a fairly
    long focal length macro, like the Nikkor 105mm or the Tamron 90mm micros. But for tabletop work, product, or florals, the
    inexpensive Nikon 60mm f/2.8 can't be beat. It's also great for tight quarter portraits, as a tour through Yves gallery
    will confirm.

Speaking of portraits, my interests are in candids and environmental portraiture. So if you've got time on your hands,
    some tips and tutorials on street photography would be greatly appreciated. I'm particularly interested in your
    use of flash. I noted a comment that you use manual mode for flash. I found that interesting, as the sb800 seems to do
    such a great job in iTTL mode.

11. Oh I meant to say I use manual on the camera as I don't trust any auto mode on camera. For flash, iTTL has been so good, it actually bothered me for a bit, because it cut out a lot of my post processing. :wink: After getting use to iTTL, dTTL sucks.

I'm currently looking at a Tamron 90mm off ebay right now. If the price stays low, I just might pick it up. Also, despite living in LA, there are an abundance of humming birds outside my house. We have several water feeders for the hummingbirds and they are always around. Any suggestions on techniques in capturing them? Lens and/or flash recommendations and settings?

12. Hi Johnathan,

Hope you're out and about soon. I have always enjoyed your posts on DPR, but find I visiting less and less these days. I'd love to follow you around for an evening shoot and see your technique and how you aquire such great images.

Are you going to be able to swing the D2X when you're onn your feet again?

Chet

13. To be honest, I might skip the D2X for now, as most my work is for print in newspapers and magazines. Not to mention that my little 12" powerbook might be heavily taxed with 12mp files. A combination of the D2H and D70 is pretty good as it is in my opinion.

14. I hope you're not thinking of the Tamron 90mm as a hummer-lens. Granted, hummers are very small (3 inches
    from tip to tip), but they're also very fast (up to 40mph in a blink of an eye), and won't tolerate you getting too
    close. I use the 80-200 with a 1.4x teleconverter, and shoot them from a distance of about 7 feet, as they arrive
    and depart from the feeder.

Hummers are pretty dark, so if they're in motion, as they usually are, you'll need to use flash to see their beautiful
    colors. You can use a fast shutter (< 1/1000) to freeze them, and sync flash to illuminate them, but that will leave
    the background dark to black, like this.

The other solution is to use a slow shutter, so the background is visible, and use several flashes at low power, so
    their firing interval will be short, to both illuminate the bird and freeze them in space. The sb800 on camera and a couple
    of slaves, all in manual mode at 1/4 power, were used to get this effect, despite a slow shutter speed of 1/200.

15. Thanks Uncle Frank. I'm trying to get my insurance (from my accident) to buy me a 70-200 VR, so I'll try using that to see if it gets me the results I want. In LA though, the urban hummingbirds aren't to shy, but they sure are territorial, like a bunch of street gangsters claiming their sugar water! :wink:

16. Oh, they're a rough crowd, even in the burbs. I've had them hover a foot in front of my face and read me the riot act while I was trying to refill the feeder. Considering they weigh 1/100th of a pound, I'd consider that rather cheeky :lol:

17. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Jonathan

Isn't that other job wearing your out? :wink: :wink: :wink:
    You must eat a lot of eggs etc to stay in shape :) :)

Read Dpreview today

18. Yes, I need to keep my endurance up for those all day sessions! lol :p

I hope no one took me serious...