Inuit art decoration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frits, Nov 15, 2005.

1. I will be framing some images of our Inuit art pieces. I'd like to hang them in my office (1 large one with 3 (or so) smaller ones in a fairly tight group).
    I intentionally want a fairly dark result and used minimal (natural) light. After some toying around, this is one I like. Do you think it works??

Frits

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2005
  2. Lovely piece of art

I would lighten the right side some as there is detail there ... I can't make out what the object is on the right, separate from the "igloo". Where were the artists from? I have some pieces from Frobisher Bay 1958/59 that may be worth something now. (I know - they reverted back to the Inuit name but I can't think of it now.) Actually watched them while they carved.

3. Thank you for your input Diane. In wanting to keep the light fairly minimal, I can agree that the right side is too dark really. I'll experiment some...
    The origins and the artist of this piece is from Iqaluit, the capital of the Nunavut territory.
    Now, Iqaluit was formerly Frobisher Bay - so the same place as where your pieces are from :smile: :smile:
    Trust me, if your pieces are true Inuit art - as I am sure they are - they will be very valuable now. There are a lot of cheap imitations, which feed the tourist masses in the big cities, but the real thing is worth a lot!

4. Hi Frits!

Very nice. I love it. The light is perfect. I don't mind the right end to be dark since it's pretty obvious it's a dog. The Inuit's lashing cord or fishing cord drives the eye well.

Marvelous shot.

5. Thanks for the info update - it's been a loooooooong time since I lived there - and yes, they are true Inuit art - I watched the artist carving from a piece of soapstone, which he then presented to me - in their Inuit language, I was "the lady with the flying fingers". (I was a secretary and we used typewriters then ... anybody remember typewriters??) :biggrin: