Invisible Wings

Discussion in 'Birds' started by K-loader, Aug 5, 2005.

1. K-loader

K-loader

May 31, 2005
    Maryland, USA
    Caught this hummer hovering with a shutter speed obviously a lot slower than those little wings…he almost appears wingless.

D100, 70-200mmVR, 1/160s f/8.0 at 200mm

2. Really nice detail in the body. They are such cute little guys and you have caught him so well.

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

that is one rockin Hummer shot :!:

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent capture Dan. I'm envious. How close were you?

5. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Great shot, Dan! I sure wish we could get some hummers to come to our yard!

6. I think thats the perfect way to capture them the wings transparent and the body frozen.

Did you use any flash?

Beautifull picture.

Martin

7. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    great color and detail. I love these little guys.

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow! He's hovering amazingly steady for all the movement his wings are doing. What a capture! And nicely composed too - good job Dan!

9. Nice image Dan.....

10. What a nice shot! I wish i could as good as one as that!

11. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    WOW...there are many images that I would love to shoot someday. A hummer is definately one...your capture is beautiful. Perfect lighting and composition...well done!

12. K-loader

K-loader

May 31, 2005
    Maryland, USA
    Thanks for the comments everyone.

- Flew, I was about seven or eight feet from the bird---or at least the camera was.
    - Martin, I did use some fill flash---I had an SB80 about four feet from the target.

The shot was taken n direct sun light. I was a further 15 feet back from the camera in the air conditioned comfort of my home. I set the camera near the flowers and feeder the hummingbirds frequent, and using the ML-3 IR remote control through the kitchen window, fire away. Hey it’s been hot here in Maryland the last couple weeks…

13. Great shot Dan, very sharp body maybe the next one will have the wings at a stop. Send more.
    Pete