iOS 13

The new iOS is coming out Thursday. I've discovered that the iPhone 6, which my wife and I both have, is not compatible. Does this mean we won't get any more security updates?

Are you aware of any security issues with the version you are using? It's been out for a year, I'd guess. It's been well tested for vulnerabilities by now.
There have been several security updates for iOS 12 during the past year, including one last week. Those are usually issued because of newly discovered vulnerabilities.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
That's discouraging. I have a 6 Plus. My wife has a 6s. Though her 6s just makes the list, I guess we will have to look at newer phones. Not sure I want to pay the price for the new 11 models. Guess I need to start investigating. Thanks for the heads up.

Will you take the security risk or buy new phones? Perhaps you don't know yet......
That's discouraging. I have a 6 Plus. My wife has a 6s. Though her 6s just makes the list, I guess we will have to look at newer phones. Not sure I want to pay the price for the new 11 models. Guess I need to start investigating. Thanks for the heads up.
I will consider upgrading to a refurbished 7 or 8. I guess it makes more sense to go with at least an 8.

My wife says she only uses her phone for calls and texts so it should be safe. To test this hypothesis I have disabled cellular data and wifi on her phone. We'll see if she complains about something not working (e.g. WhatsApp).

All of the reviews, the few, I've read of the latest and greatest iPhones rave about the camera. I'm not into an iPhone for that, and my wife could care even less, as in not at all. What none of the breathless reviewers ever address is the quality of the sound and of the wifi reception. These are the things that matter the most to us.

The cameras matter a great deal to young people. My daughters use their iphones as their main cameras to take photos of their kids. So the reviewers and apple are addressing the issue that most people are interested in. I was seriously thinking about upgrading my phone to an iphone 11 of one flavor or another so Greg could have my iphone 7plus. He has decided that he doesn't want to start making a monthly payment when he can still use his work phone for another year and a few months even though the camera is disabled and he can only download work approved apps. He said it does all he really cares about. So I'm going to keep my iphone 7Plus. It is working just fine. A new phone would not have been a necessity, but a new toy. I think I would rather save my money for something I care more about. I don't use my camera on my phone that much either. It's always used when I don't have my Nikons available and I never feel that the photos are the quality I am used to. But, if you would like an interesting exercise, go on Flickr and search for iphone XR or XS photos. You might be amazed at what some folks are doing with their phones.

I just checked and find that I bought both of our iPhone 6 models refurbished from Walmart in the Spring of 2017: mine in March for $249.99, my wife's in May for $217.99. Both are 16GB and so far that hasn't been a limitation.

Looks like you can get a refurbished 8 now for about $350 - 375.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom