IOS version

Lastest info I have is...

It will be released for iPhone 4S but not support the new filters in camera app and Airdrop.

3rd generation IPad will get it but will not support camera filters, pano photos and Airdop.
2nd generation IPad will run but no Siri, square photos/video and the above stuff from the 3rd generation IPad.

It is quite different. Should be available for the phones on or shortly after 9/10, I'm not sure about the IPad release schedule, might be delayed. Beta 6 just went out, it's expected to go to gold release status next.

I think that also with the arrival of the new iPhone 5C -- different model from the iPhone 5S -- that probably in the future the iPhone 4S will no longer be available at all in the Apple store. Up until now, when someone has wanted a less-expensive option to the current model iPhone, they've been able to purchase (or get for free) one of the older models. I imagine that Apple is phasing that out in order to have all of their mobile devices using the same cable connection. The iPhone 4S still uses the old 30-pin connector, as it was the iPhone 5 which was released with the Lightning cable/connector.

In the past, the new iOS for the iPhone has been released a few days in advance of the actual new iPhones so that the servers could get whammed with all of the people updating their older iPhones. Apple learned its lesson early-on when one year they released a new iPhone, a new version of the iOS AND MobileMe all on the same day. Wow, was that a day!

The new iPhones will be shipped with the new iOS for iPhone, just as has always happened in the past. With the iPad, as has been mentioned above, the iOS for iPad will be released at some later date -- probably around the time the new iPads are ready for launch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think that also with the arrival of the new iPhone 5C -- different model from the iPhone 5S -- that probably in the future the iPhone 4S will no longer be available at all in the Apple store. Up until now, when someone has wanted a less-expensive option to the current model iPhone, they've been able to purchase (or get for free) one of the older models. I imagine that Apple is phasing that out in order to have all of their mobile devices using the same cable connection. The iPhone 4S still uses the old 30-pin connector, as it was the iPhone 5 which was released with the Lightning cable/connector.

In the past, the new iOS for the iPhone has been released a few days in advance of the actual new iPhones so that the servers could get whammed with all of the people updating their older iPhones. Apple learned its lesson early-on when one year they released a new iPhone, a new version of the iOS AND MobileMe all on the same day. Wow, was that a day!

The new iPhones will be shipped with the new iOS for iPhone, just as has always happened in the past. With the iPad, as has been mentioned above, the iOS for iPad will be released at some later date -- probably around the time the new iPads are ready for launch.
Connie, thank you for your reply. I have the 4s and don't like upgrading to another phone everytime a new one comes out. I am one of those people that can use the same phone for 10 years or until it breaks. I get so disgusted with companies not servicing their old phones just because a new one comes out.

Good to hear they are supporting the 4s in this update.

In the past, when AT&T gave us a special break and didn't hold us to fulfilling the complete two-year contract in order to get a new iPhone, or when a new model had a lot of compelling features and functionality that really made me want one, I got the new one every year. With the 4S there was a delay of several months before they launched it and at that point my iPhone 4 was still going strong so I hung on to it and used it until the iPhone 5 was released. By that point, well over two years, the iPhone 4 was not retaining battery charge for long and showing other issues so I was ready to be in line on Launch Day for the iPhone 5. Now I'm midway through the two-year contract, my iPhone 5 is still ticking along just fine and I have no compelling reason to want or need an iPhone 5S and will wait for the iPhone 6 in the fall of 2014.

That said, what I'm really more interested in is the iPads, as it sounds as though there will be some good changes to both the iPad and the iPad Mini. Since I use the two that I have now on a daily basis, more than I use the iPhone actually, I more than likely will be putting my money into updating one or both of my iPads this year.

From what I've seen of iOS 7, I'm a little less than enthusiastic about it and probably will wait a week or two before installing it on my iPhone 5.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
In the past, when AT&T gave us a special break and didn't hold us to fulfilling the complete two-year contract in order to get a new iPhone, or when a new model had a lot of compelling features and functionality that really made me want one, I got the new one every year. With the 4S there was a delay of several months before they launched it and at that point my iPhone 4 was still going strong so I hung on to it and used it until the iPhone 5 was released. By that point, well over two years, the iPhone 4 was not retaining battery charge for long and showing other issues so I was ready to be in line on Launch Day for the iPhone 5. Now I'm midway through the two-year contract, my iPhone 5 is still ticking along just fine and I have no compelling reason to want or need an iPhone 5S and will wait for the iPhone 6 in the fall of 2014.

That said, what I'm really more interested in is the iPads, as it sounds as though there will be some good changes to both the iPad and the iPad Mini. Since I use the two that I have now on a daily basis, more than I use the iPhone actually, I more than likely will be putting my money into updating one or both of my iPads this year.

From what I've seen of iOS 7, I'm a little less than enthusiastic about it and probably will wait a week or two before installing it on my iPhone 5.
I agree with you. If there are issues with a phone, I will get another one however if it is only a battery issue, I would have the battery replaced and move on. I just feel phone companies only care about money and that's why they don't wait 5 years before pushing more phones out and don't care if their customers want to use their phones longer than 2 years. It's like camera companies. I got the 3DS and skipped the 4D and probably the next one.

It all depends on each needs and wants and I certainly don't fault anyone for that.

One really good thing about iPhones is that they hold their value. I’ve sold all my iPhones for close to what I paid for them new.
Even though I paid $499 for the first iPhone, I got a $100 Apple store credit from Steve, a $200 credit on my Amex card and sold it for $350 after one year when the iPhone 3G came out. I sold the 3G for $260 and bought the iPhone 4 when that model came out. AT&T changed the game along the way, so I kept my iPhone 4 for two years and picked up the iPhone 5 last year. I again sold the 2 year old iPhone 4 for $250 - $50 (+ taxes) less than I paid for it.
But it looks like I’ll be keeping my iPhone 5 until next year, unless the phone companies ease up on their update policies. I think the iPhone 5 is fast and big enough for me.

I'm about to finish my 4s contract (about 6 weeks to go). I'm contemplating getting a 5s and using it without a data plan (pay as you go). WiFi is everywhere these days. PAYG would cost me about $10 per month.

To test this I've turned off the data on my 4s a few days ago. Have not missed it yet, but it's early days. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

I don't think you can do that, use an iPhone without a data plan.....unless you plan to purchase the iPhone 5S outright, no contract, at some place that offers pay-as-you-go. ??
Yes, would require an outright purchase. But would save +- $1200 over two years.

You can buy an unlocked iPhone from Apple.

Yes, you can purchase an unlocked iPhone from Apple -- but usually not immediately at Launch. Last year there was some interesting little glitch, though, where phones which were supposed to be locked to AT&T actually were not, as new owners discovered very quickly. I suspect that whatever that glitch was won't occur again.

Yes, you can purchase an unlocked iPhone from Apple -- but usually not immediately at Launch. Last year there was some interesting little glitch, though, where phones which were supposed to be locked to AT&T actually were not, as new owners discovered very quickly. I suspect that whatever that glitch was won't occur again.
T-Mobile may also offer unlocked iPhones - will have to wait and see.

If I have to wait a month or two - no biggie, I can use the 4s in the meantime.

I've been using my iPhone 4S on T-Mobile "Pay As You Go" plan, voice only, no data and I called them to de-activate texting. I have about $100.00 in credit, and I add $10 every year (actually 363 days) to prevent loosing them.

My 4s was originally an AT&T phone on a 2 year contract, but they let me upgrade it to an iPhone 5 after a year. I requested that they unlock the 4S after the upgrade, but they refused. I tried again 1.5 month later and it went through.

The trick with T-Mobile "Pay As You Go" plan, is to put $100 credit on it at first... that gets you the $0.10 per minute rate, and 12 months before the credits expire. Just add $10 credit before the end of the year to keep it going.

I don't think you can do that, use an iPhone without a data plan.....unless you plan to purchase the iPhone 5S outright, no contract, at some place that offers pay-as-you-go. ??
Depends on the carrier. This won't work with Verizon. They won't let you activate a smartphone without paying for data, even if you own the phone outright. I know T-Mobile doesn't care, but Verizon, no way!!:mad:

Real Name
Chris
Depends on the carrier. This won't work with Verizon. They won't let you activate a smartphone without paying for data, even if you own the phone outright. I know T-Mobile doesn't care, but Verizon, no way!!:mad:
With pay-as-you-go plans, you still pay for data. You just don't have a contract - instead you pay monthly.

Real Name
Chris
You can also use an iPhone with WiFi without a contract. It's then basically the same as an iPod Touch with a slightly better camera, an extra button, a GPS chip, phone jack on the bottom and an eighth inch more thickness.

Real Name
Chris
Connie, are you worried about app compatibility? There are indeed a couple third party apps I'm dependant on (Talkatone, Radio Paradise, Workflowy, New York Times, NetFlix, Google, m48, ... etc.), so if they break I'm screwed. It would be nice if it's like an OSX upgrade where it just works (tm).

I was hoping to install on Tuesday.

With pay-as-you-go plans, you still pay for data. You just don't have a contract - instead you pay monthly.
Yep, that is what I do now with Verizon. The only plus I have with that is I started early enough that I'm grandfathered into the unlimited data plan with no contract.

Craig was asking about activating a smartphone without paying or using data, if I'm understanding him correctly. I tried this with Verizon when I got my Droid X since I really didn't need or want data, Verizon said no. That was a few years ago so maybe they relaxed their policy by now, I doubt it though.

Real Name
Chris
Yep, that is what I do now with Verizon. The only plus I have with that is I started early enough that I'm grandfathered into the unlimited data plan with no contract.

Craig was asking about activating a smartphone without paying or using data, if I'm understanding him correctly. I tried this with Verizon when I got my Droid X since I really didn't need or want data, Verizon said no. That was a few years ago so maybe they relaxed their policy by now, I doubt it though.
I have a first gen Kindle - it uses the cellular data stream to download books and use it's (then) experimental web browser. Do you remember 1993's NSCA Mosaic browser? It's like that.

My 13 year old has an old LG smartphone (running Android 'Fallen Souffle' or some-such, which is not under contract) that she configured so I can use it as a mobile hotspot from my iPod Touch. My iPT works, using Talkatone or other wifi phone app, just like a cell phone so long as the LG is in range.

These are the only examples I know of that (legally) use cell data for free. On a non-connected device, the camera, calendar and some other apps should work, as they don't use data.

--

As for Verizon ... don't know, I've never dealt with them. I think T-Mobile has a monthly plan.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom