Iowa eagles in grey light (part two Iowa road Trip)

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Ok, something a bit different now, a flight sequence of a juvy in the grey skies while up at Lock #14,

ISO 800 to keep the shutter speed up some, 200-400VR with no TC, D300, at f4 wide open, center weighted, these are substantial crops 60% or more

First against the concrete of the wall near the service area: (down .3 ev only)

_WDJ3921.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Things change rapidly as the bird flies against different toned backgrounds so the EV needs to change too, for example, when they fly against a bright grey or blue sky, there you need almost 1.3 +ev, here I used -.3 because of the similar tones in the backgrounds

_WDJ3924.JPG

another one against the actual lock and dam, and the bird is starting to get further out, probably at least a 80% ore more crop here.

_WDJ3949.JPG

a couple of others with the eagle we named "stripe" because of the top of his head and side stripes on this nearly mature eagle, a ways off, but I kept these because of the background and flying angles. Flat ev compensation on these shots with the white heads.

_WDJ4018.JPG

hey how did that female mallard get in this series? The light of course comes out when there are ducks in the area,

Mallard1.JPG

back to "stripe"

_WDJ4019.JPG

Wade these are still great! So sharp even for such deep crops...impressive. I love the shot with "Stripe" and the mallard drakes in the background with the rocks and the log, very pretty indeed.

Your fast with the EV change on the fly, good job.

You had some challenging light conditions but you did very well despite the odds. Nice series .... love the mallard.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Wade these are still great! So sharp even for such deep crops...impressive. I love the shot with "Stripe" and the mallard drakes in the background with the rocks and the log, very pretty indeed.
Your fast with the EV change on the fly, good job.

thanks Jason, soon soon for more birds! :biggrin:

Great job Wade, very good work. I like and appreciate the time you've taken to explain in some detail how you went about taking these shots. Very informative.

thanks Louis, I like letting folks know what my thought process is when I shoot, I don't always get it right either and hope my words and mistakes can help others.

Good work Wade.

Thanks Larry, Here is to hoping that the birds cooperate when you come up.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
nicely done. This bird id on my list for this winter

Thanks

You make them look good even in poor light.

thanks John, what is frustrating is having to use higher ISO and having slower shutter speeds, but we make out with what we have. For Juvies, sometimes the overcast days are the best.

You had some challenging light conditions but you did very well despite the odds. Nice series .... love the mallard.

good luck on your next trip there, thanks for the mallard comment.

Even the grey day shots turned out nice Wade.I need to work harder in pp skills but this puter is not really my cup of tea:confused:But we still had a very nice time watching these beautiful creatures soar in there natural surroundings and hey we got a few pics too:biggrin:Thanks for another great outing :wink:

Wade another great series from you. It looks like you guys are having a blast again this year. We have either had lots of snow or now flooding so it is hard to get to the eagles for us. Thanks for the post.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom