Iowa people - corn available?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by latazyo, Aug 19, 2008.

1. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    I am going to be driving through Iowa and I am wondering if I should expect to see any road side corn stands

I have no idea when normal harvesting time is or if the people sell it road side or not

I really hope they do

just wondering

I'll be going up 218, then onto 27 up to waterloo and then over to mason city on 20

2. My first thought is it's too late in the season, then again it might not be. An opinion from a Tennessee farmer.

3. Tinstafl

Tinstafl

Aug 6, 2008
    Virginia
    Most of the corn they grow in Iowa is not the sweet corn type but the feed corn hard big kernel type.

4. Renate

Renate Guest

I am in Nebraska, just outside of Omaha, so almost in Iowa. I see cornstands all over the place here, so I think you should be able to get some in Iowa as well.

Renate

5. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Late for Iowa...just right for around here. I live for the stuff!

6. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

Not too late in the season. But good luck, 95% of their corn is for animals and 50% of that was lost.

7. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    thanks for the info everyone

I did not know about the animal feed, which is obviously not what I want, haha

Im going up into minnesota too, so I'll see what I can find

I appreciate the responses

8. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    A neighbor was in his garage bagging up a pick-up load when we rode our bicycles by last Sunday. My Step son's father in law grows it, so he gave us a bunch. Just find any farmers market or back road stand, Wal-Mart or Sam's lot. Somebody will have it. Yes , the roadside stand is an institution here.

218 to Waterloo, Mt. Pleasant should be able to fill your trunk, Waterloo( I was just there Sunday nite) , Mason City, heck anywhere along there you'll find the stuff. Kalona would be a very good spot to find it. Riverside is just a a mile away, birth place of Capt. James T. Kirk for the 10 minute trip, you get to see/photograph a parade size model of the Enterprise with a corn silo background.

Make sure to check the rivers, they are still at the tops of their banks, usually they would have fallen by now into the sleepy little waterways they should be. You won't see the Cedar, but the English and the Iowa are pretty high still. I'm on the Mississippi side of the state.

Enjoy the trip.

9. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    MN sweet corn will be just right.............

10. On the other hand, the feed corn I stole from Iowa fields as a kid is still better than the awful stuff they call sweet corn in New Mexico. :biggrin:

11. morcguy

morcguy

Dec 29, 2006
    Minnesota
    Those who think that all the corn in Iowa is for animals. you are mistaken. There is still plenty of sweet corn there, or here in Minnesota.

12. I grew up in SW Iowa where all my family farmed. We ate sweet corn until August and sometimes ate field corn in Oct right before it started to turn. It doesn't have the sugars sweet corn is bred for but not bad.

13. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    thanks guys

thanks Toby, that is promising!! I will look up those locations!

there appears to be a wal-mart right off the highway in Mt Pleasant, so that will be convenient to check (will need to stop around there for gas anyways)

I am particularly looking for the elusive "peaches n cream" variety

my Iowa friends down here at school frequently speak of its wonder

sorry for the noob question, but is corn on the cob a refrigerator/cooler situation?

14. If the corn is pretty fresh from picking, you could eat it just by peeling away the husk and silk...
    Raw is the most flavorful way to eat the lovely "peaches and cream"!

Too much heat, from the sun in your car, or long time at the stand...
    I would certainly plan to refrigerate...
    take an extra cooler...and ice

15. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    The instant the cob is picked, it begins to turn the sugar to starch. It is said the true sweet corn fanatics get a pot of boiling water going....and then go get the corn.

My father-in-law grows his own. He plants a row a week in the spring....(read a new batch each week!). And he truly does boil the water first, then goes and picks it. Priceless stuff.

Get a cooler and a little ice. You need the stuff cool....not frozen.

When you cook it I follow some other tricks:

1. Add about a TB of salt & a TB of sugar per 1/2 gallon of water
    2. Bring the water to rolling boil
    3. Peel the corn and place about 4 - 6 leaves of the green husks in the water first as it comes to a boil
    4. Once fully boiling toss in the corn and cover.
    5. Once the water returns to a boil, shut the heat off and let it sit, covered, for about five minutes or so before eating. It can sit in the water for quite some time actually.
    6. Add lots of real butter and salt.
    7. Find napkins

Can you tell I love the stuff? :tongue:

16. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    IM getting pretty excited

I'll find out tomorrow about the stands

I got a cooler and cash on hand, now I need to find some corn

17. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Find a local stand....and buy in the morning.....the sooner you get that corn cooled down the better :)

We want photos of this you know.

18. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    You will want to chill (cooler is fine) it if you're not cooking it in the next few days. Perhaps scout places along the way up and buy on the way back. Leave the husk on till you get it to final destination. If you want to look like you've done this before, just pull the top couple inches of the husk down to see the tip. If it doesn't look good, well...

If you haven't tried it, grill it on the barbie. Husk it, butter, maybe salt, wrap in foil and keep to the side rolling it a few times. Takes as long as boiling without steaming up the kitchen (I go 10-12 minutes). Enjoy with Iowa chops, Ummm...

If you visit Riverside, its just off 218. Its even marked on my Rand/Mcnally as "The future birthplace of James T. Kirk". The Enterprise sits in a little park on the north side of the road on the hiway. Catty corner there's some Grain bins behind it. Can't miss it unless they're having their parade that day

A few minutes further is Kalona, one of the big Amish communities. So watch out for buggies. They keep to the shoulder of the road. You can head up Hwy 1 to get back on 218. Look for Stringtown(just north of Kalona), An Amish store there works during daylight only. They have skylights to work by. No electricity. Spices in bulk, etc.

If you want photo ops, get off the main road, head to the Amanas and Belle Plaine, its on the way. After you make the left turn at the BP in Belle Plaine, look for a building with every old gas station sign imaginable just north of the tracks. You can head up US 63 from Toledo/Tama, my home town. Have no fear of the back roads, they're all pretty good.

You'll see a couple of road side stands on that path.;)

19. Okay ya'll, you're making me hungry! I dearly love fresh corn! I miss the good old days when my family had the farm back in Louisiana. My Dad raised the best produce! When ya'll start buttering up those luscious cobs of corn, take a bite for me! Better yet, post some pics!

20. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    thanks for the advice everyone

I will hopefully be able to make two stops one on the way and one back

I am driving from St louis to Minneapolis, so I will not have any time for detours unfortunately, but I appreciate the ideas Toby...maybe someday I will be in Iowa with more time to actually see it