Critique Iowa State Capitol

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Recently I had the pleasure of re-visiting the Iowa State Capitol, one of my favorite capitols (...of the ones I've visited so far! LOL!)

Last year I posted this thread, with images from my first visit. Here are a few images I created during my most recent visit.

Westward mural above grand staircase
_85A9103_09-X3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Westward mural between the 1st and 2nd floors - painted in 1905 on six pieces of canvas . Above the mural are six mosaic panels that depict Defense, Charities, the Executive, the Legislative, the Judiciary, and Education.
_85A9096_102-X3.jpg

Looking toward the Senate chamber (which was in use and we were not allowed in...)
_85A8983_89-X3.jpg

The House chamber
_85A9025_31-X3.jpg

And one more dome image....
_85A8962_68-X3.jpg

My feeble attempt at an image of the Law Library......which was in use at the time. There were many chairs and large screens for displaying presentations scattered in the library. I only had time for this one shot....and it required heavy cloning to remove the presentation screen, etc....!
_85A9082_87-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Great set Karen. The light looks perfect in all images. Are those HDR images or did you take bracketed shots and combined them later? (The highlights are just a bit too much only in the last image but not important really )

Real Name
Geoff Brown
I've been to Des Moines a few times, and lived in Ankeny for a short while,I wish I'd taken the time to visit the State Capital, those are superb photographs, I've still got friends who live in Des Moines, I'm thinking a return trip is on the cards...

That's understandable. However, many people would have chosen to eliminate the people either by waiting for all of them to be gone or by eliminating them during post-processing. I like that Karen chose to include them in the images.

To give you an idea how dark it truly is, this image......

Dark Capital.jpg

... had 40-50 people in it.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Those are beautiful Karen. I spent a week in Des Moines working nearby that building. I should have gone inside.
Thanks, Rick. I would visit the Capitol a third time if I was in the area!
Lovely set Karen. I love wandering through these types of buildings.
Appreciate it, Richard!
Those are wonderful images!
Thanks, Lyndee!
Great images!

Wish you'd let me know you were in town. I know all the 'secret' spots there. Plus all the good eateries.
Thank you! We can to town in a thunderstorm and left the same way! LOL! No worries with such a beautiful place to go do photography. BTW - I didn't find the building dark at all. Even at an ISO of 64 and f16, the exposure was only 4 seconds.
These are awesome Karen!
Thanks, Walter!
Great set Karen. The light looks perfect in all images. Are those HDR images or did you take bracketed shots and combined them later? (The highlights are just a bit too much only in the last image but not important really )
Agree. The library shot was a rush looking into a bright window with light reflecting off the tile floors. With time - and a non-cluttered room, I might have been able to do a better job.
I've been to Des Moines a few times, and lived in Ankeny for a short while,I wish I'd taken the time to visit the State Capital, those are superb photographs, I've still got friends who live in Des Moines, I'm thinking a return trip is on the cards...
Do it! You will not be disappointed.
Gorgeous set! I especially like that you included people in the images and the style of including them using slow shutter speeds.
Appreciate the comment, Mike!
Stunning pics and building.
Thanks!
Beautifully done, especially the first one. Such nice colors.
I tried really hard to render the images with a realistic look.
Very nice set...especially the first two. I'm glad that it's open again. I'll be there in July (when the legislature is out of session).

Glenn
Enjoy your visit, Glenn. I always appreciate all your help and inspiration!

Real Name
Heiko
Amazing images each time!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom