iPad 2 at Best Buy

I recently purchased a 32GB non 3G version because my phone creates a mobile wifi hotspot that I use with my iPad.
If your phone cant do thst and you think you will take it everywhere with you and that you will want access to the Internet then get the 3G, but be aware that it requires a monthly service from a cell carrier.

"A good deal" depends on if you prefer Best Buy to Apple direct. Same price ($499) as it is from Apple for the 16 GB WiFi-only model.

I have an iPad (version 1) in WiFi only, and it works great while at home, or in a Starbucks, or anywhere with WiFi access. I have an iPad2 with 3G, and much prefer it over the WiFi only model because many hotels I've stayed in had only wired internet in the rooms which left the WiFi only model unconnected. I now have the Verizon iPhone4, which can act as a HotSpot, and I've used that to connect the earlier model with no problems, but since that feature is an extra $20/month I've disabled that plan and I now just buy a $20/month access plan for the 3G iPad2.

t's a great device for consuming. A little harder for production. Love it on trips, on the plane, as a portfolio of my work, or reading books here at home.

My wife got hers from BB and their warrener is better then apple care! We went non 3G and have not had an issue.

use the search function to learn more about ipads on this forum.

much info has already been discussed but only you know if the cheapest one will serve you best.

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Another difference is the WiFi version does not have GPS. So if it's a feature you need, you'll have to get the 3G version.

I was looking at Best Buy because there is a store locally where my mother lives. The nearest Apple store is about 50 miles away.

Is it possible to download "apps" and other content and whathaveyou via your main computer (a Windows PC in my case) and then transfer them to your iPad? Also - does the same thing work for photos and video - that is can I "download" my photos and video from a camera CF card or my computer onto the iPad for viewing?

With a non-3G model I gather that you can't surf the internet. I read about tethering to mobile phones and whatnot...if you have an internet connection via a wire would you be able to hook it up to that?

Lots of questions...my first foray into the world of Apple.

I was looking at Best Buy because there is a store locally where my mother lives. The nearest Apple store is about 50 miles away.

Is it possible to download "apps" and other content and whathaveyou via your main computer (a Windows PC in my case) and then transfer them to your iPad? Also - does the same thing work for photos and video - that is can I "download" my photos and video from a camera CF card or my computer onto the iPad for viewing?

With a non-3G model I gather that you can't surf the internet. I read about tethering to mobile phones and whatnot...if you have an internet connection via a wire would you be able to hook it up to that?

Lots of questions...my first foray into the world of Apple.

Yes you can gets apps through iTunes while on your PC and when you sync your iPad they will be loaded. Same thing for photos and video. You have to designate which folders your iPad syncs to and that the video format is compatible for the iPad.

Just to be clear the wifi model allows you to surf the Internet where there is an open signal. You can not hard wire your iPad to the Internet. The 3G model allows you to surf where there is a cell signal, but as with any cell service there is a monthly fee.

Is it possible to download "apps" and other content and whathaveyou via your main computer (a Windows PC in my case) and then transfer them to your iPad?

Yup, you can access itunes via your PC and download whatever content you want to your PC. When you sync the ipad to your PC, all the apps will install onto the ipad. Same goes for pictures, books, music, movies that you have in your itunes library too.

Also - does the same thing work for photos and video - that is can I "download" my photos and video from a camera CF card or my computer onto the iPad for viewing?

Yes, same as the process above. Also, in order to transfer photos from a camera/SD card directly to the ipad without syncing with your PC, you will need to get the camera connection kit, which is a separate accessory ($29). Also, the native photo viewer in the ipad is not very good if you want to organize your photos. It just dumps all your pics into a single folder for you to view.

With a non-3G model, you can still get on the internet, but need a open wifi signal to do so. You can tether to your cellphone, but I think most carriers charge a fee to do so (unless you jailbreak/root your phone) anyway, so might be easier to get a 3G model.

Anything other advice that you can offer about getting the iPad?

There are tons of other tablets right now. However, all of the other tablets run on Android OS, and not on Apple's iOS. It's really preference on your part as there is no "right" tablet. Screen/size/weight/etc. is all personal preference. The key to a tablet's usability is the app market. Although most of the main apps are available on both, you will have some that are unique to one or the other. For instance, some of the photography portfolio apps are only available for the ipad and one of my personal favorites RSS readers is only on ipad.

Sorry, Just now seeing this thread...

So, Did you already buy one? Did you get it from BB?

Here is my 2 cents worth....
I bought both of mine from BB. I did that for several reasons...

1.) I used the BB credit card to get double Reward Zone points, and then paid
off the credit card with cash. It's their rules, so I used them.

2.) I could add on extra replacement warranty and they also have an upgrade
warranty available, where as Apple does not.

3.) BB is closer to me than the Apple store, BB = 13 miles, Apple Store = 75 miles

4.) The price is controlled by Apple, so you pay the same either way, no discounts,
unless you get an "Open Box" at BB. Apple's refurb prices are just silly!!!!

So my vote would be that it's OKie Dokie to buy from BB! +1

Don't forget to check out the iPad app thread at the top of the section!

Lot's of apps in there, and with a photography focus!!!

Good luck, either way!

Sorry, Just now seeing this thread...

So, Did you already buy one? Did you get it from BB?

Here is my 2 cents worth....
I bought both of mine from BB. I did that for several reasons...

1.) I used the BB credit card to get double Reward Zone points, and then paid
off the credit card with cash. It's their rules, so I used them.

2.) I could add on extra replacement warranty and they also have an upgrade
warranty available, where as Apple does not.

3.) BB is closer to me than the Apple store, BB = 13 miles, Apple Store = 75 miles

4.) The price is controlled by Apple, so you pay the same either way, no discounts,
unless you get an "Open Box" at BB. Apple's refurb prices are just silly!!!!

So my vote would be that it's OKie Dokie to buy from BB! +1

Don't forget to check out the iPad app thread at the top of the section!

Lot's of apps in there, and with a photography focus!!!

Good luck, either way!

Haven't gotten one yet but if we do it'll probably be from Best Buy. Thanks for your input - it seems to make our decision a little easier!

Latest threads

Top Bottom