Ipad 2 in the studio

Does anyone know if their is an APP so you can use the Ipad 2 in the studio like you would would a laptop so when you shoot the pics go into it so your customers can see?

Thanks

Bryan

Thanks for the video. I have the original iPad and I have put a few photos on it. This would be nice but a bit too involved for me. What ever happened to bluetooth. Seems like we should be able to have devices talking to each other without installing anything at all. I mean the year is 2011 after all :-P

I was at a shoot last weekend and the guy had capture one and he bluetooth connected the Ipad to the laptop and the shots showed up in both places as he shot tethered with a Phase One. We put each camera on the tether and it worked for everyone but the Pentax 645D that did not have the update for yet. All the nikons worked though.

Thanks for the video. I have the original iPad and I have put a few photos on it. This would be nice but a bit too involved for me. What ever happened to bluetooth. Seems like we should be able to have devices talking to each other without installing anything at all. I mean the year is 2011 after all :-P

They have to have something to make us want to upgrade to the iPad 4 and the Nikon D800!:tongue:

Yes, a SD/SDHC to CF card adapter. They allow you to use SD or SDHC Wi-Fi cards in a CF card only camera. However, not all of them are compatible with SD/SDHC Wi-Fi cards.

Eye-fi states quite strongly on their web site that they do not recommend using their SD cards with adapters. There have been reports of corrupted files.

Any experiences with a D700 or D3s?

Mitchell said:
Eye-fi states quite strongly on their web site that they do not recommend using their SD cards with adapters. There have been reports of corrupted files.

Yes, they do because, as I said, not all adapters work or work reliably. There are some, however, that do. Hence, they have to give that warning.

Mitchell said:
Any experiences with a D700 or D3s?

I do so frequently with both the D3s and D3x and have yet to have a problem. Perhaps I'm just lucky. And corrupted files are the least of my worries. But it's always a good idea to have more than a couple cards.

I'm not the only one who does this as at least one other person on this forum also uses a CF adapter with a Wi-Fi X2 Pro. And personally, I know of several more.

That said, one does so at their own risk. And is why I do not give specific recommendations as to which adapter I use. I don't want to be blamed for loss of data if I suggest a certain adapter and it fails.

It is not yet an ideal wireless solution. There are speed disadvantages and other idiosyncrasies. Therefore, in my opinion, Nikon would be wise to include built-in Wi-Fi on future bodies because wireless data transfer of images to devices such as tablets will likely become commonplace in the near future.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's an extensive thread over on dgrin about which adapter *normally* works, and which combinations often result in data loss.

D3s You can find an Adapter for, You will not have any luck with the D700 though as it will not accept CFII Cards Type 1 Only. I have not seen a SD to type 1 CF adapter.

Second option, If you are shooting in the studio and can tether to your laptop there are a number of apps that will let you use your iPad as a second monitor. You can tether to the laptop and set up the iPad as the second monitor in Lightroom and away you go.

I run a PC and use an App from Display Link They have both Mac & PC versions. The Display runs thru your wireless network.

...and then there is the ol, take the card out of your camera/ or direct connect the USB to your ipad with the adaptors. Though, by default you can't view raw..so you would have to shoot raw+jpg..just another option..but takes time to upload

You will not have any luck with the D700 though as it will not accept CFII Cards Type 1 Only. I have not seen a SD to type 1 CF adapter.
I'm gutted about that, would love a nice wireless tethered solution.

direct connect the USB to your ipad with the adaptors. Though, by default you can't view raw..so you would have to shoot raw+jpg..just another option..but takes time to upload
If this is my only option, I can go with it.

So if I shoot raw+jpeg, it'll save them on my CF card and immediately (a few seconds) show the jpegs on the ipad, if connected by the D700's USB cable to the iapd camera connector? Or are there problems with this method too?

I'm gutted about that, would love a nice wireless tethered solution.

If this is my only option, I can go with it.

So if I shoot raw+jpeg, it'll save them on my CF card and immediately (a few seconds) show the jpegs on the ipad, if connected by the D700's USB cable to the iapd camera connector? Or are there problems with this method too?

well, I have the D3100 and the first Gen iPad and I actually pull out my SD card and use the camera connector kit (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531). which allows you to use a USB or an SD card. The only issue I see is that it does not allow you to choose the jpg w/o the raw. so when you select to upload to the iPad you upload both..so you better have alot of space if you are uploading alot off of the camera/card. but it is a fairly simple solution if you want to show a client or firends or whatever.

But as a more specific answer, I think you would actually have to "Upload" the images to the ipad. I don't think it "Synchros" though there may be an app for that?
Good luck!
Jason

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom