iPad OS beta available!

Dowloaded last night and installed the profile. I haven’t had much time with it yet. So far, it is unable to read my portable drive via the usb hub - which is also my XQD card reader (which it reads fine). USB-C, but maybe something between the hub and the USB 3 connection is weird with the drive (Seagate).

Much play ahead!!

So, now that the external storage things works, I just added my mouse (settings, accessibility, touch, assistive touch “on”). It’s a little different than standard mouse use, but not that much. It’s also somewhat customizable.

I’m using a usb mouse, but you can use a BT mouse, as well.

This is getting fun, fast!!

Sitting out here on my deck using my iPad 12.9 gen 3 and thinking how weird it would be (and how convenient at times, too!) to be able to use a mouse with it...... Right now I’ve got the thing on a stand and I’m using an Apple BT keyboard with it, and also have either a finger or the Apple Pencil to use for highlighting, clicking, etc..... I’m not brave enough to try the Beta but will definitely be interested in seeing just what we will be able to do once the actual new iPad OS is released!

As far as external storage, up to now I haven’t put a lot of extra stuff into my iPads, have always just done the basics and been happy with that. The idea of being to do more in the future is really tantalizing!

Sitting out here on my deck using my iPad 12.9 gen 3 and thinking how weird it would be (and how convenient at times, too!) to be able to use a mouse with it...... Right now I’ve got the thing on a stand and I’m using an Apple BT keyboard with it, and also have either a finger or the Apple Pencil to use for highlighting, clicking, etc..... I’m not brave enough to try the Beta but will definitely be interested in seeing just what we will be able to do once the actual new iPad OS is released!

As far as external storage, up to now I haven’t put a lot of extra stuff into my iPads, have always just done the basics and been happy with that. The idea of being to do more in the future is really tantalizing!
It’s sooo cool!
The mouse - once you enable it, the cursor is a circle about the size of your finger tip. It’s sort of bullseye shaped with a point in the center. It’s VERY sensitive, so definitely not precise, but still very useful. Scroll wheel function depends on context, but is quite slow (moves a small amount at a time). There is a stationary “cursor dock” on the right side of the screen. Not sure why. Left click activates commands (sort of). I use a Naga gaming mouse, and if you dig deep enough into the mouse menu, you can assign different functions to buttons. For example, there are two narrow buttons just behind the scroll wheel. I’ve assigned both of them to “app changer”, which brings up the open apps and the dock, like you’d see on a Mac. Right click brings up a window which has options and a sub-menu. In the initial beta, these are very much “accessibility oriented”, but it seems like an easy enough code change to make more context sensitive options.

External storage - you have to format in exFAT for the iPad to recognize the disk. Once that’s done, it’s actually pretty robust. You can copy, cut, paste, et al. You can create new folders and sub folders just like on a Mac or Windows computer. Using Lightroom CC, those options are more limited. Full LR gives more DAM functionality, so there is lots of room for improvement on Adobe’s end. Hopefully they they are on that. That’s all I’ve had time to figure out so far.

If Apple continues to refine the OS to more closely resemble basic Mac functionality, and it seems like that’s the direction they’re moving, this is really big. It feels about 80% there with this beta. Adobe is touting “Photoshop on the iPad” with iPadOS, and I can definitely see that as a realistic proposition now. I’m very excited to experience how this evolves into the official release, and then to see how Apple evolves it into iOS 14...

It’s sooo cool!
The mouse - once you enable it, the cursor is a circle about the size of your finger tip. It’s sort of bullseye shaped with a point in the center. It’s VERY sensitive, so definitely not precise, but still very useful. Scroll wheel function depends on context, but is quite slow (moves a small amount at a time). There is a stationary “cursor dock” on the right side of the screen. Not sure why. Left click activates commands (sort of). I use a Naga gaming mouse, and if you dig deep enough into the mouse menu, you can assign different functions to buttons. For example, there are two narrow buttons just behind the scroll wheel. I’ve assigned both of them to “app changer”, which brings up the open apps and the dock, like you’d see on a Mac. Right click brings up a window which has options and a sub-menu. In the initial beta, these are very much “accessibility oriented”, but it seems like an easy enough code change to make more context sensitive options.

External storage - you have to format in exFAT for the iPad to recognize the disk. Once that’s done, it’s actually pretty robust. You can copy, cut, paste, et al. You can create new folders and sub folders just like on a Mac or Windows computer. Using Lightroom CC, those options are more limited. Full LR gives more DAM functionality, so there is lots of room for improvement on Adobe’s end. Hopefully they they are on that. That’s all I’ve had time to figure out so far.

If Apple continues to refine the OS to more closely resemble basic Mac functionality, and it seems like that’s the direction they’re moving, this is really big. It feels about 80% there with this beta. Adobe is touting “Photoshop on the iPad” with iPadOS, and I can definitely see that as a realistic proposition now. I’m very excited to experience how this evolves into the official release, and then to see how Apple evolves it into iOS 14...
Specific question for you. How do you select multiple files from a folder with the mouse? Can you click the top, hold down shift on a keyboard, and click the bottom to select all? Can you use Cmd to select multiples from a folder?

General comment. I'm super excited about this, but trying not to get my expectations up too much. I just bought a 2TB external SSD that will house my entire image library and LR catalogue. It was formatted into APFS per recommendations for SSDs being used on Mac's. It would be awesome if Adobe allows functionality to use LR app in iPadOS with access to the catalogue, and seamless transition to Lightroom Classic on the desktop. How nice would it be to load RAW files from your card to your external SSD, work on them on the iPad, then go home and plug it into your desktop machine for use in LR Classic and Photoshop as needed.

I haven’t gone too deep into the mouse functions yet. I do know how to select multiple images with fingers, but that’s not exactly intuitive.

I think there’s a “pinch select” option in the pointing devices menu that can be assigned a button. I’m hoping to have some time to dive deeper into that tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I attached the iPad to my wife’s Dell usb-c dock with a pretty high level of success. It only has the one usb-c main cable, and then three usb-c plugs. It doesn’t have hdmi output, which is weird on a usb-c dock - only DVI and vga, so no way to test monitor compatibility. The usb all works, the iPad charges, and wireless dongle for the keyboard and mouse work as the should. I haven’t tried the 3.5mm sound jack yet.

I attached my Wacom 3 with no luck. Nothing from the buttons, pen, or mouse.

3.5mm jack on the dock works!
Oh, and I was wrong about the dock and video out - it does have a mini- DisplayPort. The monitor only has dvi and vga. My understanding is the the software only supports usb-c and HDMI.