1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

iPad to camera. Which one?

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by threecats, Mar 14, 2018.

1. The more I read the more confused I get. I want to connect a 5th gen iPad to the Nikons to transfer images when on trips. There seems to be two Apple.lightening to usb camera adapters most commonly mentioned. The lightning to USB and the lightning to USB3.

I know in addition I may need a short cable to go from the end of this device to the camera port?

I keep hearing issues about not having enough power and adding hubs in some instances. At a ten buck difference I don't care which one I buy as long as it's gonna just plug and play. The last thing I need is another adapter in my junk drawer.

Any suggestions folks?

2. TANG0F0XTR0T

TANG0F0XTR0T

Jun 4, 2008
    UK
    I have an iPad 12.9 inch and I use SD cards via a lightening adaptor. That is the easiest way if you don't have wireless.
    If you have another type of card such as a CF or XQD, there is no adapter for this and the reason is it requires more power than the iPad or adapter can provide. You can get a powered reader and then connect that to an iPad but it seems like a lot of messy cables, etc.

Connecting a camera directly to the iPad means you need a USB to lightning. Since it comes directly from the camera with the cable it doesn't matter which type of card you have inside because the camera's battery powers the transfer.

I used to use a D750 and I used the in camera wireless (this is different than SnapBridge) and it transferred photos to my phone or iPad. It's slightly fiddly going through the menus to enable wireless each time but it works. Otherwise, SD card to the SD to lightning adapter and that works well.

I hear SnapBridge has issues. I wish the D850 and D500 had wireless but they only have SnapBridge. With a D5 you are stuck with an inexpensive option of USB to Lightning cable as it only has CF's or XQD's. The more expensive option is the WT-6 option which is several hundred dollars. Here in the UK it can run about £600-700 GBP

Hope that helps.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Ok that sounds helpful. If the camera is supplying the power I guess I can disregard those power issues people complain about when they are trying to hook all kinds of stuff to iPad. I'm guessing maybe either cable would work. If there is an upside to getting the more expensive one I have no problem with that.

4. TANG0F0XTR0T

TANG0F0XTR0T

Jun 4, 2008
    UK
    I don't know what you mean by "either cable". SD card reader for the iPad is easiest. If you don't have SD cards then you'll need 1) a USB to Lightning cable (Apple has them) and 2) the USB cable that came with your camera (or you can buy a replacement). Hook those together and the iPad will see the files and you can import from there.

Honestly, I have 2 SD card readers for the iPad. One is slightly bigger and that could be USB3. Both downloaded D810 RAW files very fast.

5. TANG0F0XTR0T

TANG0F0XTR0T

Jun 4, 2008
    UK
    You should only need the 2nd one (MD821AM/A) if connecting direct to the camera. The 1st one is so you can add power to it which you shouldn't need since the camera's battery is powering the CF card so it can be seen by the iPad. Camera must be on for that to work by the way.

6. Sounds good. Sounds like either will work but I really only need the first one for what I want to do.
    Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.