iPhone 11 or 11 Pro

I am in the market for a new iPhone. I am currently using an iPhone 7plus. Greg has always had a work iPhone, which is very crippled because he works at a secure government site. The camera has been removed from it and other features disabled. His provider also does not have good coverage in our area. My iPhone 7 plus is only 2 years old because the first iPhone 7plus I had died after a year and it got replaced with this one. Greg wants to have the iPhone 7 and I am going to get a new one. I watched the Apple Event this week. I am torn as to whether I want to buy the less expensive iPhone 11 or get the upgraded iPhone Pro with it's 3 cameras. The camera and better screens on the pros would be the main reason for the upgrade for me. I need to handle the sizes to see what feels best. If you were going to get a new iPhone, which one would you get? My daughter has an iPhone XR and sometimes I'm blown away by the quality of the photos she takes of her kids. So, I know that the cameras have been improved over what is on my iPhone 7. Also, have you found it better to pay upfront for a phone or buy it on a contract from the provider. I'm more inclined to buy it upfront. Our provider is Verizon.

I would get a pro for the better camera and screen. The pro has a telephoto which the 11 doesn't. The pros also are more water resistant.

However, is that worth $300 to you?

Real Name
Ian
The difference in the cameras between the 11 and 11 PRO is that the PRO has the ~50mm "telephoto" camera in addition to the 26mm "normal" and 13mm "ultrawide" cameras. Both get the "Night Mode", however only the PRO will get the "Deep Fusion" mode.

As far as the screens go, while the PRO's is technically "better", you really need to ask yourself if the difference matters to you based on how you use your phone.

Honestly, if you keep the phone for 3 years, and the PRO is $300 more, you're looking at $100 a year ($8/month, or just over a quarter a day). If that $300 doesn't stretch you too thin, get the PRO. Better camera, better screen, and slightly smaller form factor.

FWIW, I'm still using a 6s Plus, which is now 4 years old. While I would like to get one of the new iPhones, my current phone is working just fine. Battery was replaced by Apple less than a year ago due to #BatteryGate, the screen isn't cracked and works fine for everyday tasks, I can still browse Instagram and the internet, and while the camera isn't all that great, it works great for taking cat pics to send to my wife (there's a reason I spent $2k on a Z6 for "real" photography).

Are you sure you cannot wait until next year?
These phones lack 5G.
I do not know how 5G deployment is proceeding in the US but here in the UK it is available in most large cities.
I am on a XS max and will definitely wait for their 5G phones.

We had 7's and tend to upgrade every 2-3 generations. Last year we got the XR principally for the faster chip and the camera. When my spouse asked me why I want to upgrade to a new phone, I told her I didn't want to upgrade my phone. I wanted to upgrade my camera which has a really nice phone attached to it.

C'mon Terri - you're a photographer! Get the pro!

You need to let us know how the 'deep fusion' feature works if you get it.

Real Name
Randy
I went with an Xs over the Xs max because the bezel is so thin you get a lot of screen in the smaller one. I normally pay cash but the payments added up to the price so it’s free financing and it’s automatic

I would get a pro for the better camera and screen. The pro has a telephoto which the 11 doesn't. The pros also are more water resistant.

However, is that worth $300 to you?
That's the question I'll have to consider. I do keep my phones for a while so the $300 would be spread out over a few years.

The difference in the cameras between the 11 and 11 PRO is that the PRO has the ~50mm "telephoto" camera in addition to the 26mm "normal" and 13mm "ultrawide" cameras. Both get the "Night Mode", however only the PRO will get the "Deep Fusion" mode.

As far as the screens go, while the PRO's is technically "better", you really need to ask yourself if the difference matters to you based on how you use your phone.

Honestly, if you keep the phone for 3 years, and the PRO is $300 more, you're looking at $100 a year ($8/month, or just over a quarter a day). If that $300 doesn't stretch you too thin, get the PRO. Better camera, better screen, and slightly smaller form factor.

FWIW, I'm still using a 6s Plus, which is now 4 years old. While I would like to get one of the new iPhones, my current phone is working just fine. Battery was replaced by Apple less than a year ago due to #BatteryGate, the screen isn't cracked and works fine for everyday tasks, I can still browse Instagram and the internet, and while the camera isn't all that great, it works great for taking cat pics to send to my wife (there's a reason I spent $2k on a Z6 for "real" photography).
I probably wouldn't upgrade if there wasn't a need for Greg to have a better phone. He doesn't want to pay for a new one, but would be happy to use my iphone 7 plus. I think I am interested in the 11 pro rather than the max. The smaller size would work better for my small hands. You make a good argument for the 11 pro. I won't order one tomorrow but will hopefully be able to check them out in person before I make my final decision. I'm not in a huge hurry....just planning ahead.

Are you sure you cannot wait until next year?
These phones lack 5G.
I do not know how 5G deployment is proceeding in the US but here in the UK it is available in most large cities.
I am on a XS max and will definitely wait for their 5G phones.
No 5G here yet and probably not for a while. We are a small market, comparatively, here in southeast Idaho.

We had 7's and tend to upgrade every 2-3 generations. Last year we got the XR principally for the faster chip and the camera. When my spouse asked me why I want to upgrade to a new phone, I told her I didn't want to upgrade my phone. I wanted to upgrade my camera which has a really nice phone attached to it.

C'mon Terri - you're a photographer! Get the pro!

You need to let us know how the 'deep fusion' feature works if you get it.
I will. It looked impressive in the event, but all their photos look impressive in the event!! They need a disclaimer that they are shot by professional photographers in very controlled environments!! Of course, they wouldn't use real life photos of the average person.

I bet the XR, XS and XS max will be discounted soon. 5G is still a ways out commercially in the US. And probably further away where Teri lives unfortunately.
I will watch for bargains on those too. Thanks for the reminder. And yes, 5G probably won't be here for a while. It will make a good reason to get a new phone later on when it does come out.

Real Name
Ian
I bet the XR, XS and XS max will be discounted soon.
I'm generally a fan of letting somebody else take the depreciation hit (I bought my 6s Plus from someone who "had to upgrade to the 7". A 1 year-old phone in mint condition that I managed to get for 60% of the new price), however I would likely buy an 11 PRO over an XS, primarily because of the UWA camera. I can't tell you how many times I wish I had an UWA lens on my 6s (I've used the Panoramic mode with varying degrees of success).

Combine that with the new Deep Fusion mode and Smart HDR, and I bet that we'll see some pretty damn impressive images from the 11 PRO.

Having had most all of the various iPhones through the years and having tried the larger size back when the Plus size was first introduced, I was delighted when the iPhone X came out, as it was the right size for me: not too small, not too large. I could more easily read the screen than I could on the smaller, earlier iPhones, and yet it was not as big to hold and hard to fit into some purses and bags as the Max is..... Last year I bought the XS and yes, this year I'll be going with the iPhone 11 Pro. I was never interested in the XR, but a friend has one and she loves it. What surprised me is that my friend has small hands and had always preferred smaller phones, but she says it isn't a problem holding and using the iPhone XR or finding space for it in her purse. Definitely go to the Apple store or the carrier store and handle the different phones to get an idea of how each feels to you.

For some reason I have found myself using the iPhone XS more than any other phone I've had in the past -- not for making and receiving phone calls, but for, yes, taking pictures. Sometimes they're just quickie snapshots of something interesting I've seen and other times I like to spend more time with a shot, seeing what the iPhone and I can do. The iPhone XS has been a dandy little macro camera and it also is pretty good for getting some reach a la telephoto. While the iPhone never will replace a full-fledged DSLR or mirrorless ILC it certainly is surprisingly capable -- and it's always available, in the pocket or a bag, or on a table in the house, easy to grab and shoot. It's also just plain fun to use!

The iPhone 11 Pro with its three "eyes" (think: "Game of Thrones", Three-Eyed Raven!) should indeed offer much more to those who want to experiment further with photography (including videography) with such a small, convenient device, and I am looking forward to getting my hands on one as soon as they become readily available. My days of waiting in line at the Apple store are over, though, and I don't like to preorder, so it may be a few weeks. My biggest decision now is: which color do I want?! Again, that's something I want to see in person. For years I've always used the space grey, especially since in the earlier days that was the iPhone that had the black bezels and black front, better for images. Now with virtually no bezels, the old issue of "black front vs white front" no longer is relevant. That new Midnight Green" color is rather intriguing and appealing....

ETA: forgot to talk about the financial piece! For a few years I have done the NEXT program through my carrier, AT&T, and as it got close to new iPhone time would simply pay off my iPhone so that I had the option of keeping it, trading it in to Apple or trading it in to AT&T. That has worked out well, as the one time I did ship the older model back to AT&T it seemed as though it took a very long time and I worried that the phone had gotten lost. Much easier and more flexible paying it off early and then having the freedom to take it wherever when it came time to trade in. This year, apparently AT&T has changed its NEXT program somewhat, so I probably will just buy the new phone outright rather than setting up a plan with Apple. That way the thing all mine right from the get-go.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4116

I will likely splurge and get the 11pro max. I'm still on an iPhone 6, 5 years old, and can really use an upgrade right about now.

Latest threads

Top Bottom