iPhone 3G updates from those who have one... please

Greg you could always throw it in the car charger during commute or clinic to hospital drives for a little booster

Greg, I'm in the same boat with you on this one so I waffled on the purchase and finally broke down and bought one but this time for my wife, not for me. She wants an ipod for her car and I was due for a hardware upgrade discount on Rogers (Canadian GSM carrier) so I figured she would be pleased as punch with the iPhone as a replacement for her Motorola RAZR.

I'll be sticking with my AT&T Tilt phone (HTC Tytn II) as I'm firmly entrenched in the Windows Mobile camp now on the business side of things. I do use both MAC (love it!) and PC's at home but strictly PC at work.

Don't get me wrong, I think the iPhone is a cool device for the right applications but it just has too many drawbacks for me to seriously consider it a business device. One of my biggest issues with the iPhone is the lack of Voice Command. I use Microsoft's Voice Command in my Tilt and I cannot begin to tell you how amazing this software is and I use it EVERY day for mobile hands free operation. I use Voice Command for both phone and Media Player operation. It even announces my next appointments if I want it to! I also use GPS every day and have two different GPS programs loaded including iGo8 which gives me TeleAtlas maps and Garmin Mobile XT which gives me the Navteq maps.

So why consider the TILT Phone:

Removable battery. Check.
Optional High Capacity Battery. Check.
Blinking Status LED's. Check.
Voice Command. Check.
Run multiple APP's simultaneously. Check.
Slide out QWERTY keyboard. Check.
3G and HSDPA data speeds. Check.
Upgradable memory. Check. (currently using 8GB card)
Cut and Paste function. Check.
Push Email. Check. (iphone has this too)
GPS. Check. (currently running Garmin and iGo8 with full North America maps loaded for both and of course, Turn by Turn voice directions) (iphone 3G also has GPS but no turn by turn software yet. Only google maps.)
Bluetooth A2DP Stereo. Check.
Camera with VIDEO capability. Check.

Sorry if this sounds like iPhone bashing but it's not. Just pointing out some limitations that negate the iPhone as a serious business tool for me unfortunately. The ONLY things that I would like to see improved on the TILT are: 1. Screen resolution to VGA would be nice. (iPhone has that oh so sexy screen) 2. Weight. The Tilt is a little heavy.

HTC is releasing the Touch PRO later this year which will effectively address my only concerns with the TILT so I'm waiting for that one. It is identical to the new HTC Diamond Touch that is just coming to the market but adds the slide out keyboard and will have the VGA hi-res screen that I want. Hopefully the third time's the charm for the next version of iPhone and then Apple will also get my mobile business. Just my two cents worth and cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
William Beem
2. Adjusting your push settings so it is manual works great. No need to have your email pushed to you constantly. As soon as you go to email, the manual mode will cause your messages to be updated.

That's not viable for those who wish to use this as a business phone. The whole reason to have e-mail pushed to you is because instant communication is critical. While your suggestion does save on the battery life, it disables an important feature for business users.

P

Paul.r.lindqvist

Caveat: OK so it's only my 2nd day of iPhone 3g ownership but first impressions do count: Steve Jobs over-emphasized (IMO) the Apple .Me push capability - if you have the choice, MS Exchange is by far the better option currently for email push (aka ActiveSync).

That said, so far, in all other respects am impressed and happy but as I said 'tis early days :smile:

Hi Paul!

Im curious (as im getting my phone in the mail by next friday or so)

What didnt work with .me push capability?

Thanx

Real Name
William Beem
The .Me push capability doesn't push immediately. Since MobileMe syncs every 15 minutes, at it's fastest, you aren't getting a true push to your device. Messages may get pushed to your MobileMe cloud immediately, but there's a delay before it gets to your device, depending upon the last time you synced.

Greg, I'm in the same boat with you on this one so I waffled on the purchase and finally broke down and bought one but this time for my wife, not for me. She wants an ipod for her car and I was due for a hardware upgrade discount on Rogers (Canadian GSM carrier) so I figured she would be pleased as punch with the iPhone as a replacement for her Motorola RAZR.

I'll be sticking with my AT&T Tilt phone (HTC Tytn II) as I'm firmly entrenched in the Windows Mobile camp now on the business side of things. I do use both MAC (love it!) and PC's at home but strictly PC at work.

Don't get me wrong, I think the iPhone is a cool device for the right applications but it just has too many drawbacks for me to seriously consider it a business device. One of my biggest issues with the iPhone is the lack of Voice Command. I use Microsoft's Voice Command in my Tilt and I cannot begin to tell you how amazing this software is and I use it EVERY day for mobile hands free operation. I use Voice Command for both phone and Media Player operation. It even announces my next appointments if I want it to! I also use GPS every day and have two different GPS programs loaded including iGo8 which gives me TeleAtlas maps and Garmin Mobile XT which gives me the Navteq maps.

So why consider the TILT Phone:

Removable battery. Check.
Optional High Capacity Battery. Check.
Blinking Status LED's. Check.
Voice Command. Check.
Run multiple APP's simultaneously. Check.
Slide out QWERTY keyboard. Check.
3G and HSDPA data speeds. Check.
Upgradable memory. Check. (currently using 8GB card)
Cut and Paste function. Check.
Push Email. Check. (iphone has this too)
GPS. Check. (currently running Garmin and iGo8 with full North America maps loaded for both and of course, Turn by Turn voice directions) (iphone 3G also has GPS but no turn by turn software yet. Only google maps.)
Bluetooth A2DP Stereo. Check.
Camera with VIDEO capability. Check.

Sorry if this sounds like iPhone bashing but it's not. Just pointing out some limitations that negate the iPhone as a serious business tool for me unfortunately. The ONLY things that I would like to see improved on the TILT are: 1. Screen resolution to VGA would be nice. (iPhone has that oh so sexy screen) 2. Weight. The Tilt is a little heavy.

HTC is releasing the Touch PRO later this year which will effectively address my only concerns with the TILT so I'm waiting for that one. It is identical to the new HTC Diamond Touch that is just coming to the market but adds the slide out keyboard and will have the VGA hi-res screen that I want. Hopefully the third time's the charm for the next version of iPhone and then Apple will also get my mobile business. Just my two cents worth and cheers!
awesome post
and so very relevant to me and my concerns
thank you for taking the time offer all that info to us

The .Me push capability doesn't push immediately. Since MobileMe syncs every 15 minutes, at it's fastest, you aren't getting a true push to your device. Messages may get pushed to your MobileMe cloud immediately, but there's a delay before it gets to your device, depending upon the last time you synced.

i believe THAT will change soon.... once the bugs are worked out
apple will never be able to get away with every 15 minute "PUSHING" of e-mail...

i'd expect a "blackberry-like" push in a relatively short period of time
if you ever watch the 90 video of the roll-out for the phone... it clearly shows an "instant" process....

they had better deliver on THAT promise... or the anemic battery issue will PALE in comparison :redface:

P

Paul.r.lindqvist

Thanx for the explantion Paul.

15 min, isnt "push".... Ill give apple a call once i get my iphone thats for sure. Its not that i need active sync so badly, just that the mailme introduction video led you to belive "push" meant alot faster then 15min sync/updates.

The carrier messed up my order... well their system couldnt handle all the traffic on the 11th , i managed to get online and order mine 1 hour after they opened the website. But the digital signature didnt reach them, so now they are sending out a contract by snail mail... grrr

Apple has sent out an apology to MobileMe users in which they have agreed that they overstated things by referring to the process as "push," and so won't be doing that any more.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have recently completed the transition from .Mac to MobileMe. Unfortunately, it was a lot rockier than we had hoped.

Although core services such as Mail, iDisk, Sync, Back to My Mac, and Gallery went relatively smoothly, the new MobileMe web applications had lots of problems initially. Fortunately we have worked through those problems and the web apps are now up and running.

Another snag we have run into is our use of the word "push" in describing everything under the MobileMe umbrella. While all email, contact or calendar changes on the iPhone and the web apps are immediately synced to and from the MobileMe "cloud," changes made on a PC or Mac take up to 15 minutes to sync with the cloud and your other devices. So even though things are indeed instantly pushed to and from your iPhone and the web apps today, we are going to stop using the word "push" until it is near-instant on PCs and Macs, too.

We want to apologize to our loyal customers and express our appreciation for their patience by giving all current subscribers an automatic 30-day extension to their MobileMe subscription free of charge. Your extension will be reflected in your account settings within the next few weeks.
We hope you enjoy your new suite of web applications at me.com, in addition to keeping your iPhone and iPod touch wirelessly in sync with these new web applications and your Mac or PC.

Thank you,
The MobileMe Team
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well.....
that's something

maybe they can issue a statement tomorrow saying that they will stop using the word "business" when describing what kind of customer base the iPhone was created for :smile:

I don't think that Mobile me is designed for business users, the exchange component is truly aimed at the business sector and works as promised. I do believe Apple was misleading in calling the Mobile me technology as true push technology.

I don't think that Mobile me is designed for business users, the exchange component is truly aimed at the business sector and works as promised. I do believe Apple was misleading in calling the Mobile me technology as true push technology.

misleading is an UNDERstatement
if you watched the whole 90 presentation by steve jobs about the 3G... he spent NO LESS THAN 15 minutes discussing the push e-mail/mobile me issue
including several misleading and now know-to-be FALSE demos of the system in action

sad, indeed

Maybe I am missing something? It seems to me that the Push email works very well with .Mac or Me email. When I have it turned on to push the email comes to my phone well before it shows up on my computer and I have it set to refresh every 5 minutes.

Lines are still long, availability somewhat limited....

I've not had any problems with MobileMe (except for that first day, of course). The other day at a friend's house I put a couple of get-together dates into my iPhone and when I got home a few minutes later, looked in the computer and sure enough -- there they were! No sync needed!

Latest threads

Top Bottom