iPhone 3G updates from those who have one... please

still on the fence about the 3G iPhone.
i'm most concerned about battery life

for those who don't know... i'm a pediatrician and will be purchasing 5-10 of them. we use the phones for our pagers, as well as as a phone

so.....
we wear our phones all day/charge them every night
but... there is no time to charge them during the day

just wondering what folks are thinking about them... 5 days after purchase

thanks, as always, in advance

I am a first time iPhone owner and absolutely love it. The ease of use, speed of Internet etc. really captured me immediately.

Depending on what you do with the phone will depend greatly on how much battery you use. Mine gets me through the day without any problems, and in all honesty I do use it a lot.

Some tips I have been given:

Turn wifi off and just use the 3G. In fact go to Edge if you aren't planning on using the Internet.

Don't set email on fetch (unless of course you need your email immediately) as this is a big battery draw.

Turn screen brightness down just a little.

All in all, I am very happy with my 3G purchase and would certainly recommend one to all friends. Just stay away from Sprints Samsung Instinct - that sucked!!

Hope this can be of some help...

Jonny

A staunch Apple lover at work sold his two days later because of the battery life. It wouldn't last much more than 3 hours even with everything turned off. Why buy something that you can't fully use and what you can for only a short time?

It was a happy story though, he trippled his money, amazing what Apple nuts will spend just to be cool.

Real Name
William Beem
Check out AppleInsider.com. They just posted an article this morning about battery expectations.

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
One important thing affecting battery life of all 3G phones is signal strength. If you are in a weak signal area and the phone is constantly searching for network, battery life will be much lowered.

obviously a bad copy, did he get it replaced?

here is a good article about various battery life scenarios under different types of usage
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ery_good_for_about_3_5_hours_of_browsing.html

Greg, do you know if there are any good aps on the iphone for appt booking?

appt. booking....
maybe one day... but, none i know of, at this point, unfortunately

i'm thrilled that epocrates rolled out its iphone-compatible downloadable software..... that's one of the things i would have missed about my TREO

One important thing affecting battery life of all 3G phones is signal strength. If you are in a weak signal area and the phone is constantly searching for network, battery life will be much lowered.

i want, so badly, to switch my docs to iPhones.....
but.... we must have our phones working 18 hours/day
some days... 24 hours
charging, DURING THE DAY, is NOT possible for "our" usage pattern
web surfing will be UNusual for us... talk time figures is the most valuable data that i need

R

Removed User 5

i want, so badly, to switch my docs to iPhones.....
but.... we must have our phones working 18 hours/day
some days... 24 hours
charging, DURING THE DAY, is NOT possible for "our" usage pattern
web surfing will be UNusual for us... talk time figures is the most valuable data that i need

Sorry, but if those are your requirements then you must have a phone with a swappable battery. Buy three batteries for each user, one to keep in the phone, and two to keep hot. Anything less and you'll curse yourself later.

Also don't forget the law of batteries -- capacity now doesn't mean squat. The battery is new-new-new; six months to a year down the line you'll be looking at roughly half the capacity, depending on how hard you run your batteries down and how regularly.

R

Removed User 5

it's amazing that apple addressed almost every "complaint" about the original iPhone but still gave us a new one with the same battery situation

I think it's because they feel it'd screw up the lines, or something. Personally, I've had so many cell phone, laptop, etc. batteries go dead or half dead that every time I buy a new phone I buy at least one extra battery for it and just figure that into the purchase price.

i'm with you
my treo 755p
it's FAR FROM PERFECT, as we all know
but.... i have a 3600mAh battery in it, with the larger back
i never have to worry about running out of juice

i have longed for this new iPhone
the battery issue really is ridiculous
i love the iPhone, but, it could be 25% thicker and still be as loved by all
it's almost TOO THIN
power users will have to think twice, i suppose, before purchasing one

Here is a Lithium Polymer rechargeable battery for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Gives 10 Hrs talk time. Output is a USB connector, so it will charge any device that uses USB or mini USB to charge. LED charge / condition meter. Made by APC, the leading Uninterruptible Power Supply manufacturer. Unlike most plug-in batteries, this actually charges your iPhone, iPod Touch, or telephone. Many devices do not actually charge the device.

Includes charger and USB to mini-USB cable. Retails for $59.99, I bought 3 from Office Depot for $40 each. Weighs 0.2 lbs, 10 Volt-Amp-Hour output (over 3 times greater than the Kensington). Attractive black lacquer finish.

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=UPB10

Here is a Lithium Polymer rechargeable battery for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Gives 10 Hrs talk time. Output is a USB connector, so it will charge any device that uses USB or mini USB to charge. LED charge / condition meter. Made by APC, the leading Uninterruptible Power Supply manufacturer. Unlike most plug-in batteries, this actually charges your iPhone, iPod Touch, or telephone. Many devices do not actually charge the device.

Includes charger and USB to mini-USB cable. Retails for $59.99, I bought 3 from Office Depot for $40 each. Weighs 0.2 lbs, 10 Volt-Amp-Hour output (over 3 times greater than the Kensington). Attractive black lacquer finish.

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=UPB10
very nice, as well
i appreciate THIS info, very much

I like the cable connection vs. the rigid dock connector; phone remains in its carry case; battery in your pocket.

Latest threads

Top Bottom