iPhone 5s thoughts

Watching Apple's stock price drop today reminds me of when the 4s came out. Same reaction and then the stock rose rapidly when they sold a record number of units the first weekend.

Good incremental upgrade in my opinion. People always over-react when a new phone is announced. It does not have this, it does not do that...

I like the new features, fingerprint scan and 64 bit architecture. Color schmolor, I don't care.

So, folks, what do you think of the new phones?

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
Watching Apple's stock price drop today reminds me of when the 4s came out. Same reaction and then the stock rose rapidly when they sold a record number of units the first weekend.

Good incremental upgrade in my opinion. People always over-react when a new phone is announced. It does not have this, it does not do that...

I like the new features, fingerprint scan and 64 bit architecture. Color schmolor, I don't care.

As a long-time iPhone owner (I've had all but the original), I've been impressed with the incremental advances, or outright, large ones that Apple made with the iPhones.

But, there're now more things to think about than what incremental advances will occur in each of the newly released iPhones. Like how do the features compare with other smart phones? In the past, you could always make the argument that Apple was either holding its own, or leading in technological advances in smart phones. Not any longer.

Too many other phones have caught up, and a few have passed the iPhones in advanced, usable, tech. While we focus on the "Oohs and Aahhs" of what the new iPhones have relative to the last one, we miss the bigger picture of how they will not advance as fast as their competition. Apple should have hit this out of the park, yet all they did was give some minor updates to the iPhones.

And the "cheaper" iPhone 5c? A 16 GB unlocked phone is $549 and 32 GB phone is $649. I can buy a Galaxy S4, unlocked, for $649. With 16GB internal and 64GB external storage.

I think Apple gave us a modestly better iPhone. Nothing that will keep them abreast of the competition. I'll be switching to Android sometime in the near future.

As a long-time iPhone owner (I've had all but the original), I've been impressed with the incremental advances, or outright, large ones that Apple made with the iPhones.

But, there're now more things to think about than what incremental advances will occur in each of the newly released iPhones. Like how do the features compare with other smart phones? In the past, you could always make the argument that Apple was either holding its own, or leading in technological advances in smart phones. Not any longer.

Too many other phones have caught up, and a few have passed the iPhones in advanced, usable, tech. While we focus on the "Oohs and Aahhs" of what the new iPhones have relative to the last one, we miss the bigger picture of how they will not advance as fast as their competition. Apple should have hit this out of the park, yet all they did was give some minor updates to the iPhones.

And the "cheaper" iPhone 5c? A 16 GB unlocked phone is $549 and 32 GB phone is $649. I can buy a Galaxy S4, unlocked, for $649. With 16GB internal and 64GB external storage.

I think Apple gave us a modestly better iPhone. Nothing that will keep them abreast of the competition. I'll be switching to Android sometime in the near future.
All points well said. I was anxiously awaiting what the announcement would bring. Frankly, I'm not even mildly impressed. A 64-Bit processor, OK, that's great but how will all the old apps you've grown to love be changed after being ported to 64-Bit? Will they just keep them 32-Bit and run the same? The camera does look cool, I can enjoy that. I think it will deliver really decent pictures. I still couldn't find the micro-SD slot anywhere on the side of the phone. Any really, releasing an "affordable" iPhone as in the 5c will be a benefit? Polycarbonate and other cheaper materials still equals a high priced phone. For me, if you want to offer an "affordable" phone make it with expandability in mind. I can get a 64GB micro-SD card a lot cheaper than paying for a 64GB phone. I was really hoping this phone would have blown us away and converted some of us Android users. Not this time. I'm holding out for the 6.:biggrin:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57602236/apple-announces-iphone-5s-iphone-5c-ios-7-release-date/

Forgot to add. The fingerprint scanner is a nice touch but how well will it fair for people that work with their hands? I'm rough on my hands and I can say there are times when a reader won't read them.

Apple is on a predictable path so i don't understand why some people where expecting to be "wowed". The "s" version is an incremental upgrade. I wasn't expecting anything huge. I have a 4s so I may upgrade as the better camera, faster processor, and fingerprint are selling points for me. I've read reports about how hyped the 5s was, but were did the hype come from before the announcement? It didn't come from Apple but rumor websites.

For Apple's stock to grow, it isn't going to come from making a big splash with the iPhone. It is going to be with a new product line. The smartphone market is becoming saturated. The 5c is an attempt to break into foreign markets like China and India for more market share.

I do hope there is a bigger screen, but not the point of being too big to fit in pockets. I would rather have battery life over a larger screen. I doubt Apple will make a larger screen if app developers have to spend too much time configuring the resolution to fit the larger screen.

I hope this doesn't come off as sounding snotty but what sort of things do the galaxy phones do that the iphones don't?

I think sometimes people lose sight of what has made apple successful. It's not being the first to market (palm had a 'smartphone' on the market years before the iphone. touchscreen, programs that you could download off the net for free for it. Only apple came along and actually made a good device). The reason people like apple is because their products are elegant and easy to use. My first iphone (and current iphone actually) was the 4. I had never owned an ipod touch so I was lost on how to use it. The guy at the store told me about the home button, and the top button. After that it took about 30 seconds and I had the whole device figured out. Every cell phone I had previous I had to spend a good hour at least figuring it out.

I think so too. As for being a best seller... we'll see. The hardware is fine, just how much horsepower do I need in a phone? As long as I can post on facebook and play cribbage I don't care. The dealbreaker will be ios 7. If it's a trainwreck like their map program was I'm done with iphones. If it's just a disappointment like itunes 11 then I'll take a good long hard look at one of those plastic fantastic galaxy phones.

Any really, releasing an "affordable" iPhone as in the 5c will be a benefit? Polycarbonate and other cheaper materials still equals a high priced phone. For me, if you want to offer an "affordable" phone make it with expandability in mind. I can get a 64GB micro-SD card a lot cheaper than paying for a 64GB phone. I was really hoping this phone would have blown us away and converted some of us Android users. Not this time. I'm holding out for the 6.:biggrin:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57602236/apple-announces-iphone-5s-iphone-5c-ios-7-release-date/

Dunno if I understand the 5c either, at least in this market. There's always been cheaper iphones. Right now in canuckistan with a two year contract you can get a 4 for free. A 4s for $99. They said on the news that the 5c was for the developing world which is where samsung is putting the wood to apple. Does the plastic body make it cheaper to manufacture? Why not just sell the chinese iphone 4's and 4s's? The 5c seems like releasing something for the sake of releasing something. yawn.

And that finger print thing sounds neat but it's clearly just a feature for feature junkies IMHO. Just how much of a drama is it to enter in a 4 digit pin?

My contract is up in oct and it's time for a new phone, plus I'm sick of my carrier. I'll update to ios7 when it comes out, if it's a train wreck (that they don't fix by the end of my contract at the end of october) I'm taking a long, long look at a galaxy.

I hope this doesn't come off as sounding snotty but what sort of things do the galaxy phones do that the iphones don't?

I think sometimes people lose sight of what has made apple successful. It's not being the first to market (palm had a 'smartphone' on the market years before the iphone. touchscreen, programs that you could download off the net for free for it. Only apple came along and actually made a good device). The reason people like apple is because their products are elegant and easy to use. My first iphone (and current iphone actually) was the 4. I had never owned an ipod touch so I was lost on how to use it. The guy at the store told me about the home button, and the top button. After that it took about 30 seconds and I had the whole device figured out. Every cell phone I had previous I had to spend a good hour at least figuring it out.
I think this is the very reason people expect a lot from Apple, I do and I'm not even a customer of theirs. I like the hardware and the visual impact their products have. There are things I don't like about Apple but that is a different story. I think the 4 and 4s are probably their best incarnation of the iPhone. The 5 didn't excite me when I played with one.

I think so too. As for being a best seller... we'll see. The hardware is fine, just how much horsepower do I need in a phone? As long as I can post on facebook and play cribbage I don't care. The dealbreaker will be ios 7. If it's a trainwreck like their map program was I'm done with iphones. If it's just a disappointment like itunes 11 then I'll take a good long hard look at one of those plastic fantastic galaxy phones.
I agree, the horsepower on any of these phones is amazing and overkill. The issue is the more horsepower they put into them the more demanding apps and downloads will be pushed on us to sell more bandwidth.

Dunno if I understand the 5c either, at least in this market. There's always been cheaper iphones. Right now in canuckistan with a two year contract you can get a 4 for free. A 4s for $99. They said on the news that the 5c was for the developing world which is where samsung is putting the wood to apple. Does the plastic body make it cheaper to manufacture? Why not just sell the chinese iphone 4's and 4s's? The 5c seems like releasing something for the sake of releasing something. yawn.
The one thing a lot of people don't realize is all these old phone that people trade in or sell to Gazell and other cell phone buyers are being resold in developing countries, this has been going on for many years. I think a lot of people in the developing world would love to get their hands on a nice used 4 or 4s. Apple did nobody any favors with the 5c.

And that finger print thing sounds neat but it's clearly just a feature for feature junkies IMHO. Just how much of a drama is it to enter in a 4 digit pin?
4 digits for me, that's all I need. Even Samsung has this facial recognition crap, like really.

My contract is up in oct and it's time for a new phone, plus I'm sick of my carrier. I'll update to ios7 when it comes out, if it's a train wreck (that they don't fix by the end of my contract at the end of october) I'm taking a long, long look at a galaxy.
I don't think iOS7 will be a flop, just different. Apple won't push a Windows 8 wannabe on you folks.

The one thing a lot of people don't realize is all these old phone that people trade in or sell to Gazell and other cell phone buyers are being resold in developing countries, this has been going on for many years. I think a lot of people in the developing world would love to get their hands on a nice used 4 or 4s. Apple did nobody any favors with the 5c.
Actually this I knew. Here in canuckistan the telus store will give you $10 for any old POS phone so long as it turns on. Your old phone either ends up in the hands of a fellow in Africa or they scrap it where some poor little 8 year old kid in Indonesia dips the mother board into sulphuric acid to extract the precious metals. There's a fair amount of gold, silver, and platinum in phones, especially the older ones.

either the 5c is cheaper to produce than to just keep pumping out iphone 4's because it's plastic or they just wanted to put something out there to satiate the shareholders.

I don't think iOS7 will be a flop, just different. Apple won't push a Windows 8 wannabe on you folks.
I hope so. I have less faith in apple after jobs passed. There is no way that maps fiasco would have happened if he were still at the helm. And itunes 11 makes me sad, where's my cover flow?

That said the new imacs are nifty and there's not a damn thing wrong with the latest version of OSX (whatever cat we're on now, I can't keep track). So it's not all doom and gloom.

Nothing announced that would make me upgrade from my 5. I do love the green 5C though.

It's my favorite color! :Love::Love:

Apple is on a predictable path so i don't understand why some people where expecting to be "wowed". The "s" version is an incremental upgrade. I wasn't expecting anything huge. I have a 4s so I may upgrade as the better camera, faster processor, and fingerprint are selling points for me. I've read reports about how hyped the 5s was, but were did the hype come from before the announcement? It didn't come from Apple but rumor websites.

For Apple's stock to grow, it isn't going to come from making a big splash with the iPhone. It is going to be with a new product line. The smartphone market is becoming saturated. The 5c is an attempt to break into foreign markets like China and India for more market share.

I do hope there is a bigger screen, but not the point of being too big to fit in pockets. I would rather have battery life over a larger screen. I doubt Apple will make a larger screen if app developers have to spend too much time configuring the resolution to fit the larger screen.
YMMV, but a GS4 with a 5" display fits in the pockets of any pants I own without issue. In an Otterbox Commuter, no less. In my opinion, a ~4.5" display with >400ppi is the way to go for the iPhone 6.

Larger screen gives larger footprint for a larger capacity battery.

Apple already has three different sized screens in iOS...they can handle it!

This isn't my year for a new iPhone but I followed the keynote today anyway.....
The new iPhones both sound nice for what they offer prospective buyers and users. The 5C iPhones look a little garish for my taste, but that's OK, since I won't be getting one anyway and would not be. The new camera sounds great and I'm sure that at some point the 64 Bit thing will be great..... Actually, as I was following all of that, I kept thinking of what is likely to be in the next iPads, too, and certainly this is suggestive of what we'll see there in a month or so....I'm more interested in that this time around than I am the iPhone (since I'm mid-contract with the iPhone). Yes, at the end of the keynote I came away thinking, "well, that was nice...." but in no way did I feel a hunger to get the new iPhone no matter what.

There are only so many innovations and changes and upgrades that can be made after a while....and we're seeing that now. The days of genuine excitement are really over.

I have an iphone 4s and can get an upgrade now. I didn't see anything today that I just have to have. I think I will wait another year and see what the iphone 6 brings. My phone does everything I want it to. A bigger screen is what I would like. I was late to the Apple game, but now I have a 27" iMac (2.5 years old), iPad 2, and iPhone 4s. I really don't feel the need to have the latest and greatest of any of them. They all function well for me and I love the way they work together. I think I will just save some money and enjoy what I have a bit longer. I'm not really interested in learning a new phone. Perhaps Android does a few more things, but I don't really think they are features that I would personally use all that much. I have my few apps that I love, text messaging, phone, calendar, contacts, and reminders...either brand would do what I want. I was kind of hoping that something would come out today that would really excite me, but it didn't happen so now I am happy to save my money. BTW, 10 years ago, could we even have imagined what all these devices would do for us? Sometimes I think we lose sight of just how far technology has come. They are tools and don't determine our self worth or identity.

This is a reasonable question. The answer depends on what you want to do with it. The Galaxy phones have a removable microSD card which means you can upgrade or change the internal memory; the S3/4 use a micro USB port which means you can connect a wide array of non-proprietary gear; the gear includes external (read ms-dos format) hard drives. The Android OS plays nicely with external mass storage.

Nice, but so what? Well as a photographer it means I don't have to go through relatively costly means to see/upload images. I recently sold my last MacBook Air. My Galaxy 10.1 and a combination of microSD cards or a $10 hub and SD cards or 2.5 external hard drives will handle image storage and retrieval. You can get a free version of a trusted Norton Commander dual pane file manager called Total Commander. Unlike iOS you can see your folders and files ala Windows/Mac OSX. I don't know the iOS any longer but Android offers a true RAW viewer Raw-droid viewer which shows the real RAW information, not the imbedded jpg of a raw image.

Is Android better? No, just different. There are disadvantages of course just like iOS and you have to weigh that with its strengths.

One new use I have put my recently replaced S3 without a data plan to is a cycling computer. With a simple MicroUSB (M) to USB(F) adapter and a Garmin ANT+ sensor receiver I have a program IPBike which, along with the bike sensors and a heart Rate strap and native GPS tells me my cadence, location, heart rate, distance traveled, hill climb incline, rate of climb, map of my trip, highest speed, average heart rate and numerous other bits of helpful information.

YMMV, but a GS4 with a 5" display fits in the pockets of any pants I own without issue. In an Otterbox Commuter, no less. In my opinion, a ~4.5" display with >400ppi is the way to go for the iPhone 6.

Larger screen gives larger footprint for a larger capacity battery.

Apple already has three different sized screens in iOS...they can handle it!
+1

Those are good points, especially making more real estate for battery. I think a lot of people's hangups about the iPhone and the smaller screen is it more targeted to the 30 any younger user. Nothing wrong with that they can see it, just now the smartphone has gained its way into the 50+ crowd and our eyesight is not as good as it used to be. I think this is where Apple fails, it has abandoned their loyal and aging users by not offering the choice of a phone with a larger screen. They are following the same trend the fashion industry has fallen into, dismissing the elderly and plus size women. It's not hip to be old and fat.:biggrin:

I have a 4s and it does what I want. My needs are pretty basic, so I'm satisfied with my phone. Nothing today made me long for an upgrade. We'll see what next year brings...

+1

Those are good points, especially making more real estate for battery. I think a lot of people's hangups about the iPhone and the smaller screen is it more targeted to the 30 any younger user. Nothing wrong with that they can see it, just now the smartphone has gained its way into the 50+ crowd and our eyesight is not as good as it used to be. I think this is where Apple fails, it has abandoned their loyal and aging users by not offering the choice of a phone with a larger screen. They are following the same trend the fashion industry has fallen into, dismissing the elderly and plus size women. It's not hip to be old and fat.:biggrin:
My reason exactly for wanting a larger screen.

This is a reasonable question. The answer depends on what you want to do with it. The Galaxy phones have a removable microSD card which means you can upgrade or change the internal memory; the S3/4 use a micro USB port which means you can connect a wide array of non-proprietary gear; the gear includes external (read ms-dos format) hard drives. The Android OS plays nicely with external mass storage.
And this is a deal maker for me. My S3 has a 64GB micro-SD card added and it gets close to full on a regular basis. It gets used. I'm continually loading and offloading from it. The nice thing is I can pop in another if I don't want to touch any files on the first one.:smile:

I'm upgrading just because I can every year. I have a 5, my daughter my old 4s. We are on 2 years cycles that are one year apart, so I get the upgrade every year. I'll buy the 5s 32gb for $299 and sell her 4s for Amazon.com credit for about $300, covers the cost. I spend a ton on amazon so it's basically free to upgrade. She then gets my iPhone 5.

With that being said, it's nothing earth shattering IMO. My biggest thing is probably the fingerprint reader. I know some of you say the 4 digit pin is no big deal, but that really annoys the hell out of me quickly. I'm so rooted in apple's crap (11 items in the house last time I counted) that they'll need to really screw up a phone to make me go Android. Too much money invested in apps and I do like their phones.

The 5C isn't really targeted at the US market. It's more for the foreign countries. I was surprised at the price though, I thought they were going to go for free for the 16gb one with a 2 year contract. I think that would've been a lot more enticing to some people.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom