iPhone 6 Plus And IOS 13

My wife and I both have iPhone 6 Plus's and love them.
They are in great shape.
Lately we've been seeing apps that after updating them you get the message that you must have IOS 13 to run them.
If you delete the app after updating you cannot download the old version.
Is there a way to download an older version of an app?
I do not believe this is right.
I should not have to buy a new phone just to run some apps we really like.
I'll find alternative apps if that's the case.

My wife and I both have iPhone 6 Plus's and love them.
They are in great shape.
Lately we've been seeing apps that after updating them you get the message that you must have IOS 13 to run them.
If you delete the app after updating you cannot download the old version.
Is there a way to download an older version of an app?
I do not believe this is right.
I should not have to buy a new phone just to run some apps we really like.
I'll find alternative apps if that's the case.
That happens to me all the time. Apps disappear as they are no longer supported or they become incompatible with the new OS.
If it is compatible and still supported you can reinstall from the App Store.
If it no longer is on the App Store or shows as incompatible you are out of luck.

That happens to me all the time. Apps disappear as they are no longer supported or they become incompatible with the new OS.
If it is compatible and still supported you can reinstall from the App Store.
If it no longer is on the App Store or shows as incompatible you are out of luck.

I just don't think that's right.
My wife bought a Bissell Crosswave floor cleaner a few months ago.
After a few weeks the app updated and said now you need IOS 13.
I was ready to take it back to the store and buy their competitor's machine.
They had so many complaints about this a week later another update was on the App store and solved the problem. It can now be used with many different IOS versions. It's not that they can't do it but they don't want to. Wouldn't surprise me if they are getting a kickback from Apple to entice people to buy new phones.

I just don't think that's right.
My wife bought a Bissell Crosswave floor cleaner a few months ago.
After a few weeks the app updated and said now you need IOS 13.
I was ready to take it back to the store and buy their competitor's machine.
They had so many complaints about this a week later another update was on the App store and solved the problem. It can now be used with many different IOS versions. It's not that they can't do it but they don't want to. Wouldn't surprise me if they are getting a kickback from Apple to entice people to buy new phones.
It is the nature of the platform and also of the app market.
Many apps I bought for my iPhone 3G I can’t use anymore.
Remember we are NEVER buying an app, we are paying for the right to use it under license.
We never own it.
By agreeing to the T&Cs we are all agreeing to these practices.

Every year when Apple releases a new version of iOS they also render older iPhones "vintage" and "obsolete" and incompatible with the new version of IOS. After a certain point older iPhones cannot be supported any longer, either via software or hardware. They do this because an older iPhone does not have the hardware necessary to work with newer software and apps. It's the way of life in the tech world...... This coming September when iOS 15 is released, that spells the end of compatibility for the iPhone 6s, that is already known. These days Apple offers iPhones in several different models at different price levels, and, yes, of course they want people to purchase something newer which will provide the kind of functionality that the company strives to create.

As someone who works in development, supporting older devices/operating systems is the bane of a developers existence. iOS 13 isn't all that old and there are plenty of apps that continue working but there will be a time when they won't and that time is now for you with this specific app. Usually it's because they have a new function/feature they want/need to roll out, or a new architecture, and it causes them to either separate their app development (version for iOS13 and older, version iOS14 and newer) or just develop for the newer. The latter is the easiest, especially since there aren't a ton of development resources behind a lot of apps (some are even outsourced). There's a cost analysis done to remove older support and I guarantee you that's what happened. How many people are on X device running X OS? 10%? Can we afford to lose 10%? Developing for the 90% is better than supporting a remaining 10%, i'll tell you that.

Most iPhone users upgrade frequently enough to not ever have to deal with this but there is collateral damage and you are feeling that. You can complain about it but it won't change so your only recourse here is switch to Android where the problem won't just magically go away, stop using that app or find a different one, or upgrade your phone. The latter is the easiest and is typically the most expected recourse. An iPhone 6 (even the S) is long in the tooth. Fine for texting and calls, showing it's age with smart phone functionality, and you'll need to make that decision.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom